Buying new Jeep

RandyS

Hi Guys. Quick question regarding the purchase of a new (2006) Jeep: For a person who wants to buy new but doesn't need much more than a basic jeep for dirt/gravel roads through desert/mountain terrain, is a 4cyl SE sufficient, or are there capabilities in the X or Sport models that justify the additional cost for this type of limited use?

I appreciate any advice.

I don't know much about the Wrangler series, but many have said that the 4 cylinder is a little bit underpowered compared to the 6. However, it is still a very capable engine, for the use you described, it should well suit your needs, just don't expect it to take off from the line like a Ferrari or something.

To the best of my knowledge, the SE, Sport, X, etc... mean different trim levels and components, as long as you don't need all the frillies, you should be fine. Now, Rubicon, that's another story, that's where you come with beefier axles and lockers and such right out of the box...

Hope this helps in some small way, cause that's all I've got on the matter :)

I HATED my 4 cyl TJ. Well I loved the TJ, hated the weak engine. I believe you the X package gets you the 6 cyl but it has less options than the Sport so it is a little lower priced. Alot of people do just fine with a 4 cyl. I will never get another though.

Well, I gotta post my humble opinion..........
I own an '03 4banger SE and I love it! It's only underpowered if ya like doin' 80 down the interstate. I lived in the Smokey Mountains and most uphills required 3rd gear- about 3k-3.5k rpm to go 55 - but I can live with that......as I've gotten older, I've found less and less things to be in any hurry for. But this little sucker's taken me everywhere I want to go, places my other vehicles would never have made it, it's been very reliable and I have absolutely no complaints. Long Live the 4Banger!!!!! (oops, discontinued in '07 :evil: :evil: )

I had the 2.5L four in my TJ. The only complaint I had was on the highway. Around town and through dirt/gravel roads, it did very well. That being said, I'd never buy another one. It was severly underpowered for highway use.

So, as a daily driver, I grew weary of driving it because half my commute was on and off highways. For dorking around on the evenings and weekends, it was great. If you're truly going to use it mostly off-road, the 4cyl will be sufficient and surprisingly capable.

-X

I don't know what the cost difference is from the 4 to 6, but if possible I would get the 6 unless you want better gas mileage. Both ahve their advantages, but the 6 is a much more versitle Jeep for resale as well. I have owned 2 4bangers and have not been impressed for the record.

To clarify the differences between the various trim levels, SE is the 4 banger. X comes with the 4 banger but has the I6 as an option. Sport has the I6 standard and comes with nicer standard equipment then the X and has more options (essentially a Sport with no additional options is the equivalent of a fully loaded X with the I6 option). The Rubicon obviously has the I6 standard and also has Dana 44's front and rear (the D44 rear is an option on the Sport and also I believe the X but you can only get the D44 front from the factory on a Rubicon). The Rubi also has lower gearing (.411 compared to .373 on the Sport/X, IIRC). The Rubi also has different springs and high pressure shocks that give it an extra .5" lift in the suspension and it comes with 31" tires. The Sport/X have 30" tires as an option, and that option also includes the Rubi springs/shocks (so you can still get the half inch of lift). Hope that clears things up some for you :).

Hi Guys. Quick question regarding the purchase of a new (2006) Jeep: For a person who wants to buy new but doesn't need much more than a basic jeep for dirt/gravel roads through desert/mountain terrain, is a 4cyl SE sufficient, or are there capabilities in the X or Sport models that justify the additional cost for this type of limited use?

I appreciate any advice.

Gotta chime in (imagine that...) all I would say is to go as far as your budget will allow. I had a 92 yj 4 cyl and it was fun,... but then I went up to the rubicon, and now I am looking at swapping to dana 60's and ARB lockers. These vehicles are worse than crack. The first time you go somewhere no one else in your group can,... you'll feel great,... but there is always that higher ridge, or steeper waterfall that you just can't get over,... so save money up front, and get the best you can. The Rubicon is an AMAZING vehicle,... unlike any out of the box rig I have ever encountered,... perhaps buy an 05 Rubi with low miles for the same as a bare bones new 4 cyl wrangler.

Gotta chime in (imagine that...) all I would say is to go as far as your budget will allow. I had a 92 yj 4 cyl and it was fun,... but then I went up to the rubicon, and now I am looking at swapping to dana 60's and ARB lockers. These vehicles are worse than crack. The first time you go somewhere no one else in your group can,... you'll feel great,... but there is always that higher ridge, or steeper waterfall that you just can't get over,... so save money up front, and get the best you can. The Rubicon is an AMAZING vehicle,... unlike any out of the box rig I have ever encountered,... perhaps buy an 05 Rubi with low miles for the same as a bare bones new 4 cyl wrangler.

HAHAHA!!! You're TOO funny!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Love the crack comment!!! Funny because it's so true. Anyway, very good advice.

Spend the extra money and get an 06 with the 4.0L. It's last year for them and they are about as good as a motor gets as for reliability.

Spend the extra money and get an 06 with the 4.0L. It's last year for them and they are about as good as a motor gets as for reliability.

you would advise that over buying a gently used rubi 6.0? Not being argumentative, just surprised.

you would advise that over buying a gently used rubi 6.0? Not being argumentative, just surprised.

All I was doing is responding to his question about the 4 cyl. I think the 4.0L I6 is worth the money no matter which package he gets.

I wasn't saying buy the 4 cyl, I was saying buy the 4.0L (L as in Liter) ;)

Back