break nightmare

Greencuke

i decited it was time to do my front breaks. my driver's side pads were wornd down to the plate, and then i looked at the rotar. eww. i think i got a rock jammed behind it or something, cause the back side looks like it went through a cheese grater. so 3 trips to advanced auto and $70 later i had almost new front breaks and an oil change. i love nice weather
reggie[addsig]

Brakes are usually easy unless a certain auto parts store gives you the "correct" rotors two different times. Pep Boys sucks![addsig]

i was just about to post a question about brakes. anyone got a step by step on the atual process? i plan to just jack it up, take the wheel off then look at the brake mechanism and look for the screws that look like they hold on the pads and remove them then replace them.... any tips or pointers would be great? otherwise its gonna be blonde automotive 101 (im not actually blond but im gonna feel like it since ive never done any type of car brake work, done bikes, they're all the same right? right??) yea wish me luck[addsig]

Two bolts on the back of the caliper, take them out. Have a wire clothes hanger or some type of wire to tie the caliper up so the the brake line does not get damaged. Pull or pry the old brakepads out. Use a C-clamp and one of the old brakepads to press the shaft back into the cylinder in order to put the caliper back onto the rotor (New pads are thicker than the old pads so the caliper will not fit back on the rotor). Install new brakepads. Make sure your rotor is not warped or badly grooved(If so, remove and get cut at a parts shop). Line up caliper correctly and install bolts. Disc brakes are easier than drum, but drums are not all that bad. Hope this helps!

edited by: Jeep#3, Apr 13, 2003 - 11:12 PM[addsig]

I gotta agree brakes arent that bad. I just dove in blind and it only took an hour or two to do front brakes and rotors (disc).[addsig]

important thing to remember: there are 3 bolts on the back of the calaper, the highest and lowest ones are for removal, and the middle one is for the break line. if u remove this one, u will spil fluid, so watch out for it. also, u can pick up rotars for like $20, so it might just be easer to get new ones...
reggie[addsig]

I broke my calipar bolts when removing them, heads up it may happen. Now I keep some of those little things in stock. Everything seems to break on a sunday.[addsig]

Warning, If you use the Hayes manual. The torque setting is in inch-pounds, not foot-pounds. Make sure you do the conversion. The first time I did my brakes it said like 70 lb's, I thought that was a lot but hey it is tough, it is a jeep! Set my trusty torque wrench to 70 lb's and crank away, ya broke that bolt in half. Had to drill out the hole and use easy-out, had to buy new bolt, NOT FUN. It turns out I only needed like 5 foot-pound's- Dumb me.

Johnny[addsig]

First things first, go and get yourself a chiltons manual... From there on it's all good. Ok ok maybe not all good, but at least you have the recipt book to get it right. Good luck and have fun.

OlllllO

:cool: [addsig]

Back