Brake lines...

XJNick

Hi,

After installing my lift, I've been thinking about new rear brake lines. Mine are a little crimped at the Tee on the rear axle from age and stress. The lift hasn't helped any. In hopes to get my rear brakes working better, I'd like to build new steel brake lines (since I can't seem to find anyone who sells them).

Has anyone made their own brake lines? If so, how is it done? I'd assume they are some kind of compression fittings, but I want to be sure I do everything correctly to ensure safety and effectiveness.

Thanks for any help :-D
-Nick

edited by: XJNick, Jul 19, 2003 - 01:43 PM[addsig]

if what you are looking to do is replace the steel hard line... compression fittings work really well... hard line comes in all sorts of different lengths and diameters.... and remember this whenever you are going to bend a line by hand.... place your hands out with your palms up, so that your thumbs are away from each other... then put your thumbs along the line and bend to the desired bend... never bend with your palms down and your thumbs together, it will kink easier that way... if your thumbs are away from each other, you are bending from the outside of the curve, leaving the middle to bend naturally following... if you bend with your thumbs in, you are bending at the middle of the curve, which will concentrate the entire bend on one small area and kink it

BEND SMART, THUMBS APART
or
PALMS DOWN, KINK AND FROWN[addsig]

Great advice Snitty....nice poem too....never heard that one before, but I'm sure to remember it now :)

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

even hand bending can "shrink" the tubing diameter. Now I know this sounds strange but when we do field work installing a new high speed babbit bearing and have to run new oil lines we use a small tube bender but we also carry a 10 pound bag of sand. Filling the line where your going to bend it with sand (small grain and tightly filled) will reduce the tubing colaps rate dramticly. Just fill, tape off end and bend. Oh dont forget to empty lol.[addsig]

Thanks.

How would I do the new end connectors? The line that really needs replacing is bent right at the end connector. I read that I'd need a flare tool thats like $50.? So I might just look for a shop that makes hoses (it might be cheaper)

-Nick[addsig]

I just made that little poem up last night when I was posting it... just had a creative urge then... the sand trick does work well, but make sure you blow it ALL out of there before you hook it up... if you need a flaring tool... go to autozone with the line and ask them to help you flare it, in our town, they let you use their tools if you need to right at the store. You might want to use the sand trick if you have to make a bend at the end like that, you can't really get your hands around it at the end... or.. when you go to autozone to do the flare, see if they have a bender you can use... free stuff is everywhere... just gotta know where it is[addsig]

Back