Body lift or shackles?

MuddinYJ88

My 88 YJ with a 4" lift rubs on my 33's when flexing out. I was wondering i f i should go with a 2" body lift or 1 1/4" shackles. Anyone know whats involved with the shackle lift? pinion/camber angles? thanks!!!

TJ flares would be my first choice if you don't mind cutting sheetmetal. They give more clearance, they update the look of the Jeep, and nothing about your setup really changes. There are pluses and minuses of both the BL and the longer shackles......it's a toss-up depending on your preferences and your desired lift.

Just combine them all and step up to some 35s or 36s:D

1" body, 1" shackle. IS that RC lift actually a 3" lift (the older ones were 3" kits)

currupt4130 said:
how about 37's or 38's?

just cut some more metal and bigger tires will easily fit. It's kind of wierd, most people with 4x4 trucks cut a TON out of the fenders...but you rairly see the average Jeep cut up real good in order to fit bigger tires.

2" body lift has it's drawbacks, your shifters will be 2" shorter and could be a problem when coupled with a TC drop. I wouldn't install over a 1" BL, less leverage on the body mounts and bolts.

The longer shackles will decrease your caster in the front, leading to more steering wander. It'll mess with your pinion angle in the rear, possibly leading to vibes if the driveshaft ujoints no longer run at the same angles as each other. Longer shackles can also decrease your approach and departure angles, they hit everything and IMO they're downright fugly.

I recommend the TJ flares and 1" body lift, or buck up for some RE 4.5" springs and be done with it. Although the flares and BL will keep your center of gravity slightly lower than a 4.5" spring height.

Junkpile said:
4" springs, BL, shackles, and TJ flares....you could fit 36s.

Well as you can see, i run TJ flares, 4.5" re springs, 2"BL, and 1 1/2 " shackles. I'm running 36"s, And I have the body damage to show the tires stuffing into the tub.

yjdave said:
Well as you can see, i run TJ flares, 4.5" re springs, 2"BL, and 1 1/2 " shackles. I'm running 36"s, And I have the body damage to show the tires stuffing into the tub.

Cool. Google "bumpstops"

i have a 2" body lift and a set of shackles that are 2 inches longer than stock, ive been running itthat way for a few years now and i havent had any problems.

MikeB said:
i have a 2" body lift and a set of shackles that are 2 inches longer than stock, ive been running itthat way for a few years now and i havent had any problems.
2" longer than stock shackles net around 1" of lift because only one end of the spring is raised.

1" isn't really high enough for them to seriously affect caster. A 2" shackle lift will.

Back