Bigger tires with no lift, has anyone had an experience

00wj-kid

I'm thinking of upgrading to bigger tires for my jeep and currently that's all I really have money for since my jeep is in the shop but I was thinking of buying mud tires that are a bit bigger then stock and would like to do this with no lift and has anyone ever put bigger tires on a wj with no lift and if so could you tell me what problems you ran into along the way

IF you currently have stock size tires, a one inch change (one size) is no issue, if everything is in proper repair. If anything is damaged or worn all bets are off, which is normal, even putting new tires of the same size on.

I am running 30.9 the only issue I found is an extreme turning angles I get a little rub and when you load the Jeep now or for adults and all the stuff from your semi truck you get a little rear tire rubber and by the way I'm I have a 98 Cherokee XJ 4 door.

uploadfromtaptalk1426424051755.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1426424180696.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
there are MANY different issues that add to this including the tread type. if you can, search out the options that were available from the factory, and look for the largest size tire they offered, rule of thumb is you can safely go one size TALLER than that. Width however is determined by your wheel offset AND tire height, and that doesn't have any "rule of thumb" and is where you end up having to deal with tread design, for example a mud tire will throw more issues than an all terrain due to fender clearance and the tire lugs height up the sidewall. This is where your best bet is a good tire shop, and the actual measurements not the tire sizes, of the tires. If you know someone who "did" this or that, it doesn't mean it will work for you, due to modifications over the years to the tires used (here is where the actual measurements are needed), suspension issues (age fatigue so on) sagging axle housing and so forth. So if you want to go taller than 31, ( you are there all ready) you need to address the suspension first off so you aren't bottoming out when loaded, and make sure everything is up to spec, based on your comments of current issues. At that point you may want to look at a simple 1 3/4 -2" max lift to go up to 32 inch tires. You may need to change your fender flares and possibly your wheels for a different offset at that point.

Back