Best kind of video camera???

Craig

Re: Good American Company?

Since Christmas is coming soon, I'm gonna be buying myself a Christmas gift. I'm thinking about a video camera. I've never owned one before and haven't done much research on them yet. Just wondering what people recommend. I've seen the cameras that take a mini disc and also ones that take a small tape. I've noticed that the fully digital ones that take the small disc don't have a lot of optical zoom but are a lot smaller. The ones that take a small tape have huge optical zooms but are a little larger. Besides the zoom and sizes is there much of a difference? I'd like to get the large zoom but I also want to be able to edit video on my computer. I have a video card that will has a video input on it. What do you recommend? Are certain brands better than others? Thanks.

Re: RE: For the electrical experts...Christmas Lights

i used to sell video cameras, so here it goes.....i'd go with a miniDV camera. they're the small tapes. good quality, not as expensive as the ones that write on mini cd's. when you go to 8mm you start to lose quality. canon, panasonic and jvc make quality video cameras. sony as well, but you're going to pay for it. the optical zoom will be clearer than the digital zoom will be. and when you say you have a video input on your computer, what type? cause for most of those video cameras, fire wire is the quickest way to transfer the video onto your computer. and how much are you looking to spend?

Re: RE: Re: RE: For the electrical experts...Christmas Light

From my experience, I'd stay away from Panasonic. I've had 3 of them, and should have learned my lesson after the first. Their video quality lacks a lot, and the batteries are only good for about 3-4 months of average use. I also seemed to have problems with the brightness and contrast, as even the controls weren't accurate when setting these.

I now own a JVC that records on a mini-tape and love it. Of the dozen or so camcorders I've used over the years, this one is by far the best I've ever had. Excellent picture quality, great zoom, easy to set controls, built in light, batteries will run it for up to 6 hours of taping, and so far have lasted over a year and still very strong.

canon, mini dv all the way, theyre great quality. i used to do a lot of filming and editing and i loved my canon. get an optura if your looking for something good quality, a zr model if you want something more compact, and a GL model if you want pro quality

bchcky said:
when you say you have a video input on your computer, what type? cause for most of those video cameras, fire wire is the quickest way to transfer the video onto your computer. and how much are you looking to spend?
My computer will accept either S-Video in or USB2 video in. As for price, I've been looking at the mid to higher end cameras....can't really give you an exact price because of the exchange rate and price differences here in Canada.

My brother is was a film major in college and he did all of his college projects with a Sony miniDV camera. It was around $800 when he bought it. It seemed to work really well for him.

Check http://www.shopping.com/xPP-Camcorders--format_mini_dv for best prices and reviews. Only use their recommended stores
trusted_store-2.gif

I use this 8 MP Digi for super pictures and vidios (when I feel like it).

http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Nikon_Coolpix_8700~S-P~OR-0

image-missing.png

RE: yj rear axle advice

my dad just got on of those new canon rebel digitals, completely badass. 9 MP i believe, it might be 8. it is somewhere beyond nice, but thats what you get when u spend 1000 dollars on a camera

I just bought a Canon ZR85 a couple of months ago. I really like this camera. Mini-DV. It was like $375 at Best Buy, and it came with a $50 mail in rebate. It had everything I wanted at a lower price than I expected to pay. Using the rebate, I got spare batteries, tapes, and a nice bag with it for under $500.

I just bought a Sony minidv (dcr hc85) before my trip to hawaii. It's a great camera with lots of editing on board. It will also film in true widescreen 16:9 ratio. Has a 2 megapixel resolution for great video quality and still picture quality with the built-in flash. Was a little pricey at $999, but the best of the minidv's for the price. Of course there is the high def camera's out there, but wasn't willing to spend $3500 on them! Now I am just partial to sony, so you should search around for reviews on camera's if you don't have a preference. Here's the link for the camera I bought, and they gave me 18 months same as cash financing! http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...ame=dcc_DICamcorders_MiniDVHandycamCamcorders

ndnatty, have u taken any still pictures yet? I'm wondering how the picture quality is with only 2mp. Or is that different because its a minidv and not a regular digital. I ask this because i was going to get the camera i mentioned above but kind of leaned away because its only 2mp.

eatsleepjeep, I have taken a couple of pics. Not too bad for a video still. It stores it on a memory stick as apposed to the tape so that's a plus. It's like any other 2mp still, only so much you can do with it when it comes to enlarging the picture. The video quality is great, and we just viewed our hawaii video on our 57" HDTV and it was better than standard pic but not quite as good as hd.

Well, a drug dealer is free again.

i like the samsung MINI DV they have great prices and the model i just got has a 3 1/2" lcd screen so i can see a little easier.

Axle Flip Lift?

Ok, I fianlly bought my video camera. It was a hard decision but it came down to either the Panasonic PV-GS15 or the Canon Eulra 70. The Panasonic was about $150 cheaper and had most of the features the Canon had except the video quality isn't quite as good and it doesn't have a hot shoe for accessory add ons. I'm still trying to decide if I made the right choice and am considering exchanging it for the Canon. I'm trying to find as many reviews on the web as I can. I have till tomorrow to exchange it and get the sale price.

Back