axle replacement

snowdog

does someone have a link to a how to replace a one piece axle in a amc 20 rear end? my axle tire and rim flew out of my jeep a few days ago and i need to replace it but have no clue how
Thanks in advance

The install is pretty simple. There are 4 bolts that hold it in place. Take the wheel and drum off and slide the axle back in. Re-install the 4 bolts and then check to make sure it turns and does not have a lot of slop when you pull outward on it.
I suspect the bearing and or press ring are bad. You may have even lost the press ring. It holds the bearing on the axle and keeps it from pulling out. You may have also destroyed the seal and seal retainer (4 bolt hole metal flange).
If you have a hard time visualizing what I am talking about, you may want to take a few minutes and disassemble the other side to get a good look at how it goes.
If the bearing locked up and spun in the housing, then you may have too much play to re-use it. It may require replacing the housing.
Good luck.

i posted pics can you tell if the housing needs replacing and if so do you know where i could get one?

RE: New Jeeper...

ok i know that i didnt spin the bearing but i need to know if there is a seal of some sort behind the bearing race going into the axle tube?

Back