Anyone know of a GOOD wireless audio/video transmitter?

Craig

Just bought my first place last week and am moving in a month. Right now I have my computer hooked up to my stereo & tv through cables. In my new place, my computer will be way too far from the tv & stereo to run cables. I'm looking for a good wireless audio/video transmitter, mabye 900 mhz or something along those lines. Does anyone here have any experience with these or recommend a good brand. Thanks.

I do and they are a pain! They work unless you have a microwave oven that is either near the transmitter and/or receiver or inline of the transimission of the transmitter/receiver. I have a "leapfrog" 2.4 Ghz and it was totally affected by the microwave and other things that I could not figure out. They were less than 50 feet apart and I could never get a clear signal and if I used the microwave it went to 5h!t. Leapfrog is supposed to be one of the better ones out there. But it didn't work for me.

My suggestion is that you do run some cat 5E cables through the crawl space, if you have one. It's alot of work, but well worth it. "too far away" for cat 5E is over 300 feet. :lol: If you have a professional do it, it should be about $80 to $100 plus material if you only go from your computer to one room. At least that's the rates in Albuquerque. They charge about $80 to $100 per "drop"

Hi,

Keep in mind that things like microwaves cause radio interference in addition to electrical interference in the power lines. This can affect the quality of wireless signal which are close in frequency to the device.

Some form of "structured wiring" in which you can drop wired network & phone (cat5e), video (RG-6), audio or some combination of those to various locations in your house is a really nice thing to have. True structured wiring is also nice because it is most always done in a "home-run" configuration, in which all the wires return to a common place in the house, where the netwoking/ telco/ cable equipment or main connections are all brought in. Makes it very simple to assign certain ports throughout the house any signal you want.

Or you could just run a single run of Cat5e for a network connection or a set of *good* quality in-wall A/V cables. If at all possible this is what I'd try to do. A wired connection will always be more reliable. I try to use wireless as a last-resort since it usually brings with it annoying problems like interference and signal quality.

-Nick :!:

my company developed some software to transmit video from security surveillance cameras, over wireless to PDA's that the guards can carry on them, so they can be always up to date..

off topic but pretty cool stuff.

Found something at Radio Shack. It's a wireless 2.4 Ghz transmitter.

mingez said:
Nick, what in the blue hell do you do for a living???

Well, this summer I'm self-employed doing residential Electrical work, Irrigation, computer repair, and most everything inbetween (don't ask how they relate to each other :p).

Not to mention that I've got at least a part time job as the mechanic for my Jeeps (no wait... maybe that should be FULL time) :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Back