Any soft top surprises I should know about?

ZBTstang

Im about to remove my soft top for the first time ( I bought the jeep in the winter). Is there anything I have to make sure to watch out for? Any problems, tips, surprises, whatever that goes along with removing the soft top. Also, this is a dumb question, but remeber, I bought the jeep in the winter so I havent been able to tinker with it, not only the back window but the side windows have to be removed correct?

[addsig]

On my 94 YJ, th rear window only has to be rolled up, and the side windows have to be removed. I also have a bestop supertop, and let me tell you, if you have one of these, The pins on the side that hold the spreader bow up, bend and contort in the first two times you drop the top and put it up! I just stick some stainless 1/4-20 screws in to stop the bows from falling.[addsig]

Very important...keep it off!!!! Seriously...that is the easiest top to remove. It's half the pain in the rear than the YJ's top. There's only one zipper per window, no snaps along the rail, no windshield channel to fuss with. Just roll up the back, unzip the sides, unhook the front, and fold back. The only thing that I've noticed with the TJ is that most owners do an incredibly sloppy job with the folding. Most of the time it looks like a parachute coming out of the back of a dragster. Just take your time and work with it to get it to fold the way you want it to. One last thing...the only problem my friends have encountered with the TJ's soft top is that the plastic channel rails, along the side edges of the top, that are sewn into the fabric tend to rip out...the stitching is kinda weak...so be careful...especially in colder environments when the top shrinks. Good luck.[addsig]

I take all my windows out when I let mine down. This (I hope) will save on the scratches witch turn soft windows into white instead of clear windows. The Colder it is the harder it is to stuff your top into the small space behind the rear seat.

Suggestions.
1.) Watch the Video for a visual aide.
2.) First few times you take it down, have the manual open and read along and follow it as you take it down and put it back up.

Really Easy Top. Basically, the Folding of the Top is the hardest part, gets a lot easier the warmer the top itself is. Fold everything like the instructions say and everything fits well.

I have figured out little things here and there to make the top easier to put up and take down, like Leave the Sail-panels loose to put the Rear window back into place. This makes it SO much easier to start the Zipper.

Make sure your Zipper is Even. The First time I put my rear window back on, I didn't make sure of this, and found that the Driver side of the Rear window was REALLY tight and the passenger side was loose.

All in all I say follow the instructions. They make the Tops go on easier and easier each time you do it. I am down to 10 min to take it down and close to that getting it back up.

edited by: L33TJ33P, Mar 17, 2003 - 07:28 PM[addsig]

Leave the Jeep in the hot sun for a few minutes to soften the top and make folding it back behind the seat a lot easier. This goes for installation of all Bestop products, much easier to handle when warm, also a better fit.[addsig]

Unfortunatly I never got a manual when I bought my jeep....the guy who brought it back didnt return it with one. So im going to be kinda lost on following the instructions.[addsig]

I will scan Mine tonight and try to post it here for you. I have removed my TV card, so making you a video can't be done at this time. But I will see what I can put together. Maybe Kaaza will have it in a format for your PC. :) Computer Geek are me.[addsig]

YOURE THE MAN!!!!!! If you can scan it and copy it, try sending it to my email address if you dont mind. Mtbtoad@aol.com. I never thought of looking on Kazza.....thats not a half bad idea...[addsig]

Up-loading what I have now. Scanner is acting up so this is the best I can do on short notice.[addsig]

I found out the hard way that the tubes that create the door frame will fall and scratch the side of your JEEP.

I fold them against the bow and zip tie them in place till have folded the bows down... that way I don't cuss.LOL
[addsig]

Again dude, youre the man! That really helps ALOT. If you have some time would it be a pain in the ass for you to scan them? I want to print it out to keep it but I dont think the photos would print out very well. Again only if you dont mind.[addsig]

I think I can will see what I can do with muh scanner tonight. Maybe if I hook it back up it will work ;-) [addsig]

I also seperated the top from the frame. So the metal frame is stored in one place and I seperated each window with a towel and rolled them up in the top. Then used a bungee cord to keep it together.[addsig]

Back