Any fumes from Herculiner?

95XJCountry

i just bought a 95 cherokee, noticed the left front floor carpet is wet and when i crawled under driverside saw a good bit of rust on the side of the pan. was thinking about the herculiner then reinstalling the carpet. i wont be driving thru water so i just need to stop the rust. my question --- if its enclosed vehicle --- are there any fumes after it dries? my toddler and i have allergies.
Thanks!

There aren't any fumes after the herculiner dries, however I wouldn't think that herculiner would be a good rust stopper. I would say it's more of a rust preventer. In your case, I would recommend POR-15. It will stop rust and last alot longer. I've used both products together - por15 to stop rust and herculiner to deaden sound and give a good texture.

I've used Hammerite paint in many applications. There are some fumes, but I'm also paint sensitive and never had any real issues with it. If you can find it, they also have a water based paint that dries quick, ideal for painting in the winter, when other coatings may take days to dry. It's about half the price of POR15.
I use it in places prone to rust and that don't require a perfectly smooth finish. It is a bit tricky to work with, not like normal paint. You try to lay it on in one smooth thick coat and avoid double brushing it or trying to smooth it much (it will generally smooth itself well enough). They do have rattle cans of the same product in flat and gloss varieties of the enamel type paint.
Works on my bumpers, tow hooks, differentials, underbody and lasts.

Thanks for the info. Ill make that a plan for the end of winter. Been a little cold and windy (like the artic!!!) here the last few weeks.

Careful with the Herculiner. If your exhaust is any where near it it heats a bit and it does put off fumes and they ain't healthy.

Back