Angle of the Dangle

My husband and I just purchased a 1976 Cherokee WT. So far we love her. She has two nicknames, Sweet Lil Cherokee (after me, I'm cherokee) and Scooby (cause she is Scooby-Doo brown).

My hubby thinks I am a major wuss. I can scare him without trying in my '95 Mustang, but I urge caution when trying steep hills or side angles in the Cherokee. I just don't want to roll her.

From the age of 16 when my demented dad bought me a '76 vette, I've been driving sports cars. I've never, ever been near a 4X4, till now. What I need to know is the actual angles of approach and departure and the side angle she (the Cherokee) can take.

I've searched the 'net for hours with no results. Can anybody help me? I'd love to freak my husband out by scaring him for a change in the Jeep!
image-missing.png

Thanks!

my wife calls me, her lil poopsie, cause im full of shit! why are you trying to be so scientific about it? [angle's of approach etc..] hell it's just a 25yr old jeep, if you want to scrare him, go for it!, roll it!![then you can tell daddy you need a new jeepie]

Try this:
Clinometer

I don't know if it's "scientifically calibrated" for a Cherokee, but at least it will give you an educated guess.

Terry

NOT TO BE A STICK IN THE MUD,LET ME SHARE A LITTLE ADVICE. OFFROADING IS PRETTY COOL, AND YOU WON'T NEED TO TRY TO SCARE ANYONE.I GUARANTEE IT WILL HAPPEN BY ITSELF. JEEPS WILL GO FARTHER AND STEEPER THAN MOST PEOPLE CAN HANDLE. BUT WE HAVE LOST FRIENDS THAT WERE'NT PREPARED (OR EDUCATED ENOUGH) TO KNOW THEIR LIMITS. FOUR WHEELING IS A FUN FAMILY SPORT THAT (IF DONE PROPERLY) CAN AMAZE YOU AND PUCKER YOUR BUTT AT THE SAME TIME.THE SMART THING IS TO FIND A JEEP CLUB THAT HAS EXPIERENCED FOUR WHEELERS (NOT ONES THAT SAY THEY ARE) AND LEARN FROM THEM. HAVE SAFE FUN!!!

Maam'

The "angle of the Dangle"
is inversely proportional,
to the heat of the Meat,
times the mass of the Ass.

================
Terry's correct, :-D
The only device I have seen would
be the clinometer,,,

But I would challenge you to learn
your Jeep... I would hate for you
to run off the cliff or into the tree,
with your eyes and mind off the
trail and your Rig.

Morg's thoughts on a CLUB,
is what I MUST recommend.

No one fell out of the Womb
and Ran a Marathon.

We Fell out into the arms of
elders, who made sure that
we had the chance to:

Sit up and look around,
Crawl over baby obstacles,
Grow strong with practice..
Take that FIRST STEP..
AND WHEN YOU FALL HARD
THAT FIRST TIME,,

I pray that you have someone,
to pick you up, dust you off,
and help you take your Second Step.

You can not learn by yourself safely.
Find a buddy. :cool:

You won't find "instruments"
helpful, but a distraction.
Potentially,,,, a Fatal one.

It's a JEEP Not a JET! :lol:

Glad to have you, this is
only 2 cents, you need 98
more to make a dollar.

edited by: USMPK9, Jun 10, 2003 - 09:56 PM[addsig]

Terry's correct, :-D
The only device I have seen would
be the clinometer,,,

But I would challenge you to learn
your Jeep... I would hate for you
to run off the cliff or into the tree,
with your eyes and mind off the
trail and your Rig.

Morg's thoughts on a CLUB,
is what I MUST recommend.

No one fell out of the Womb
and Ran a Marathon.

We Fell out into the arms of
elders, who made sure that
we had the chance to:

Sit up and look around,
Crawl over baby obstacles,
Grow strong with practice..
Take that FIRST STEP..
AND WHEN YOU FALL HARD
THAT FIRST TIME,,

I pray that you have someone,
to pick you up, dust you off,
and help you take your Second Step.

You can not learn by yourself safely.
Find a buddy. :cool:

You won't find "instruments"
helpful, but a distraction.
Potentially,,,, a Fatal one.

It's a JEEP Not a JET! :lol:

Glad to have you, this is
only 2 cents, you need 98
more to make a dollar.

Nice dude, nice. Thats a real cool bit of advice for anyone new at wheelin. All that and a bit of common sence will keep most people safe out there.[addsig]

Thanks Glass,
I was hoping that it "READ'
from the heart..

That's where it came from.

K 9~~ OUT![addsig]

Very nicely put if I do say so my self and I do say so.....Common sense and experience go along way so start small and work your way up, no one got to the top by starting at the top make your way and make it slow....... :-D [addsig]

he's right... basically... if you find an actual angle at which you can ride with... it won't help much unless you carry around some device to measure the angle of every obstacle you go on... you will soon find what you feel right with, and will learn to judge the angles by eye... take this... you have always been into cars... i'm SURE you know what driveways you can pull into, and what speedbumps you can go over, basically what you can do and what you can't do... you will learn with experience the same way[addsig]

Back