alternator

troutstalker

Anyone know what the standard alternator is with a Wrangler SE 2000 4 cylinder. I suspect is 117 amp. I've putting on a light bar with 4 85 watt driving lamps. Want to make sure its not going to give my alternator any troubles.
image-missing.png
If I need higher amp alternator, what size amp should I look for... thanks in advance[addsig]

Amps = Watts divided by volts. I often run 800 watts, with no trouble out of my stock alternator (as long as the engine is running). Four 85 watt lights will give you around 340 watts or 28 amps. Should use a relay, as 28 amp switches are hard to come by. Over did it, on one dune buggy I had, when I turned the lights on, the engine would try to die. There is often, cast into the alternator, or on a tag, the amp rating of the alternator.[addsig]

take the thing on a test run. A little longer run than you would ever use it for. that way you know it will not let you down. you can also get a clamp on amp meter to find out the true output.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I doubt your alternator is 117A on a 4 cyl.! At best maybe 63A thats normal. Maybe as high as 75A if you have A/C. As long as the engin is running, you won't hurt the alternator with the lamps on. [addsig]

97 and up 2.5 TJ's run 90 amps alternators, but there are high amp aftermarkket ones out there. I believe on from a 4.0 (110 amp) also fits.[addsig]

thanks folks for the information. Did some crash studying on the how alternator's, batteries and the rig's electrical system work. Went out and got a deep cell, offroad procom battery and am going to research and buy a high amp aftermarket alternator, just to be on the safe side. What I found interesting is that what's important in this issue is the idle rate that the factory alternator will charge battery, which is why I'm going with high amp aftermarkket... thanks again[addsig]

Back