air compressor

4x4Fish

i just got rid of my 1990 cadillac sedan deville, but before i did i took out the air compressor for the air suspension. does anyone think that this compressor can be rigged up in my yj as a tire pump.???

I think I remeber hearing something about not being able to use auto ac compressors for OBA due to the fact that the coolant is also what keeps the bearings free...I'm not sure about this, and will do more research...just wanted to get back to your ?

Rob 8) :p :)

a few question first... do you know what CFM it is....that would be your starting point. If it takes 35 years for the compressor to fill one bike tire your better off looking for a larger CFM compressor some where in the range of 10 CFM? Because the money you will pay for custom brackets and stuff might out-way the bennies. Like sitting on the side of the road waitting for your tires to fill and you finished that 12 pack ten minutes ago...lol

And Rob yes you cant use a A/C cpmpressor as a air pump. An A/C pump is designed to move liquid coolant from the low pressure sire as liquid and pump it up to the High pressire side as liquid to remove the heat in the condensor coil. after the condesnor coil the liquid moves through a oil seperator that flows back into the 'bottom end of the loop to feed the compress oil back into this reed type of pump. What Fish is refering too is the airsuspention pump.. what I thnik and dont qoute me on it is a low CFM/ high pressure air compressor.
I will call a local jeep shop that I know sells on-board compressors and see what the minimum CFM is out there and such.
Steven

throught a little searchin on pirate and google, i have found it takes about three of them to do any good, and they burn up qucik b/c theyare not made for contunial use.....but they are good for ARBs

This is the type of compressor you need for OBA. It is a York, and it has it's own lube system.
image-missing.png

you can use any AC compressor.. and may be able to use the air suspension compressor... the flowrate/compression rate all determines the duty cycle... anything will fill up a tank, to a certain pressure, but i'm sure any AC compressor will pump to high pressure... but it may not fill a tank up in decent time... you may use the entire tank right away filling a tire or running a tool.. and you are not going to want to wait for it to fill up again before you use it

may be better off just to buy a small tank, and mount it in there somewhere and always keep it full just in case, and hope you don't get more than one flat :p :p
although i do know you can check out a lot of the minitruckin magazines.... they sell all that stuff for the airbag kits and whatnot..... i think you can get a compressor for that for like under 200 bucks

Back