Advice About Reliability for Possible New Owner?

bassman

Hey all - I'd be grateful for any advice and recommendations you could give me. I'm considering buying a 97 Wrangler Sport with about 76000 miles on it. However, I've heard conflicting stories about Wrangler's reliablity. One friend who own's one claims his has run great for the last 10 years, another had to rebuild the engine on his after 120k miles and claims this is the norm. Which of these two is most representative of Jeeps? I'd love to get the one I've found, but need something that will pretty much last for a long while before dying on me and requiring me to shell out a lot of money.
Thanks for your help!

It all depends on the previous owner. But, I do hear plenty of people around here with jeeps with well over 100,000 and still going strong. I think any car or jeep with 76,000 will have little things that will need to be done but shouldn't be anything major. If it has the 6 cylinder engine, I hear they are practically bulletproof and trouble free.

I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Welcome to Jeepz. :D

If the previous owner took care of that I-6 then it will last you an unknown amout of time. I have family that is running 200K and still on the same engine. it is ALL in how you maintain.

First off welcome!!!!
My Old yj had 160k on it and the owner of it now says its still running strong probably around 170k now, so like L33TJ33P, and south said it really all about how well maintained it was by the previous owner/owners...
Good luck!!! Hope you deside to buy it or another one right for you, see ya around here on jeepz :wink:

most engines need some minor work around 120k, byut thats usually alternator, etc... most engines will last well over 200k, especially jeeps.

-previous owner
most important thing when purchasing a used vehicle.

-how well you keep up on maintenance
most important thing once you buy it.

just make sure you have your mechanic take a look at it first if you're going to buy used. lifted/modded jeeps will probably be more abused, but also the chance of being better maintained crazy as it may sound, cause trail riders love their jeeps. reliability is a toss up, you could find a chevy that will run 200k just as you might find a bmw that will crap out at 100k. only thing we can help you out with really is common problems, or helping you fix problems that you do come across.

buy the jeep cause you want it. you'll fall in love. you'll do a lot of work, and sink more money into it in mods than you thought you would. but you'll love every minute of it. and when something does break, thats what we're here for!

Its all in how the vehicle is used and cared for, which is the real crux of buying used from an unknown owner. If it passes your visual inspection I would then suggest taking it to your mechanic for a once over before you buy (if the owner wont agree to that then he's probably hiding something), they chan check the fluids for shavings, check compression, eyeball everything really well and then let you know their opinion. A $50 inspection can really save you some money in the long run.

My 91YJ has 138k still runs great. clutch is a little loose but big tires will wear things out a bit quicker than the norm.

just watch that transmission.. change the fluid as soon as you get it so it will last.. change it to Redline MT90, Pennzoil Synchromesh, or Royal Purple Synchromax

The engines used in that 97 Jeep (whether it is a 2.5L OR a 4.0L) have been tried and proven. Like any good moter, it all comes down to how it has been taken care of. Unless the thing was subject to serious neglect, I say buy it!

Back