Adventures in the Gadget Cave

Green97TJ said:
I got all yall beat... Last year (my first year of college) I was using a 100mhz processor, 1 gig hard drive, 64 meg of ram (upgraded from the original 8 or so) 6x cd rom machine... what a beast.. :D

Nathan

Don't even go there - you got some old farts on this site!! :lol: My first computer was a 286 - 16 Mghz, 640K ram (I "upgraded" to 2 Mb - lotsa $$$$), 20 Mb hard drive, 3.5 AND 5.25 floppys, and, of course DOS!!!! Man, those were the days. Gave it to my brother.......the little POS is probably still runnin' somewhere!

Don't make me tell you guys about my Commodore, Vic-20 (No hard drive).

Then there was the upgrade to the Commodore-64!!!!

Have I mentioned that I once dated Ada Byron Lovelace? Lost her to that Babbage fellow.

Then there was the....

Regards,

ENIAC, Gadget

PS: Pictures of Gadget's first computers (still have them) here:

http://www.sliderule.ca/ke.htm

RE: Re: RE: Adventures in the Gadget Cave

Inspector-Gadget said:

Have I mentioned that I once dated Ada Byron Lovelace?

Then there was the....

Regards,

ENIAC, Gadget

I surrender Gadget!!!! You crack me up!!!!

Old HP-85 owner,
mud

P.S. - the old "85" had no hard drive either - everything off floppies - "CPM" operating system.....and I actually wrote a little progam in BASIC to pic lottery numbers for me :)

Inspector-Gadget said:
Those that remember the "Gadget's Rattling Furnace and Migrating Wood-Screw" caper will understand that I am suspicious of what goes on in the Gadget Cave in the wee hours of the morning. So, I set-up the Franken-Puter webcam to monitor my furnace.

Sure enough, folks! I got him! Here he is: the surreptitious saboteur of furnace, the wily wood-screw bandit, the furtive fan-rattle raconteur, the demented devious arch-demon of ductwork.

-

-

-

-

-

-

image-missing.png

:mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hahahahahahaha!!! I just saw that. Don't know how I missed that!
Touché heir Gadget....touché! :lol:

RE: interesting rig of the month

Inspector-Gadget said:

Have I mentioned that I once dated Ada Byron Lovelace? Lost her to that Babbage fellow.

Then there was the....

Regards,

ENIAC, Gadget

PS: Pictures of Gadget's first computers (still have them) here:

http://www.sliderule.ca/ke.htm

Ah, my first was an Atari 400. Basic language, cassette tape drive, and a keyboard that was built onto the unit (keyboard was not actually keyed, but were bubble-type buttons).

Now THAT was a fine machine!

Inspector-Gadget said:

Gadget, you kill me with your obscure references. This time I had to look it up. Thanks for the education. :lol:
Ada Byron Lovelace

My first computer was a 486 but I'd used other slower and older machines. This was just the first I could afford. About $2000 I think. :shock: I also wrote some programs in BASIC back in the 80's. Ahh, the good ole days.

RE: interesting rig of the month

south442 wrote:

Gadget, you kill me with your obscure references. This time I had to look it up. Thanks for the education.

Hi-Ya Southie,

If you enjoyed the "Ada Lovelace" and "Babbage" allusions, you might also enjoy reading about the origins of the "punched card" and the historical connection to Lovelace and Babbage.

Although the IBM Corp. brought the punched card into the American vocabulary and everyday life, the history of the punched card began much earlier in the European/British textile industry.

Specifically, with the advent of the Jacquard power-loom:

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recording/jacquard1.html

Evolution of the punched card:

http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/cards/history.html

Just shows to go ya, there really is very little new under the sun. There are, however, many very old ideas perpetually recycled for new applications.

Regards,

Antiquarian, Gadget

PS: I too long-ago contemplated writing computer programs in COBOL and BASIC with the objective of becoming filthy-rich by winning the NY State Lottery. Eventually, I realized that if such were possible, the Chairmen of the MIT and Stanford Math Departments (unlimited math brains, unlimited computer power) would be frequent winners of state lotteries.

They never won.

I went, instead, with the b-b's in a box thing. Shake the box; let b-b's roll into the numbered holes, mark lottery card according to the b-b positions.

Surely, I thought, with the aid of the AM-PM Mini-Mart high-tech b-b box I should win the lottery.

I never won.

Ship to the Smithsonian tech section! hehehe They aint never seen nothing like that up in DC. hehehee tug

Back