A Tad Off Topic

Re: RE: Re: RE: pics,my damage

This has nothing to do with Jeeps, except that I'll use my Jeep to go see it. Hopefully this weekend, Steve Fossett will take off on his record breaking attempt to fly around the world in 80 hours non-stop. I've been following the story of the attemp here: http://www.virginatlantic-globalflyer.com/ because it's starting and ending just 70 miles north of me in Salina. I plan on driving up there this weekend to see it take off. The actual day isn't set yet, although after nearly a month of waiting for the right jetstream and weather systems, Saturday and Sunday look to be the best. The Global Flyer was designed by Burt Rutan, who also designed the first private airplane to fly into space late last summer. I'm not really an aviation buff, but this looks pretty cool, and I'd like to be able to witness history in the making. They chose Salina's airport because it is one of a handful that has a runway long enough to take off from. The Global Flyer's initial weight will be 83% fuel!!! They need the 2 mile long runway just to get it off the ground. Any Kansas Jeepers want to meet me there?

Oh, one more note: The Citation X chase plane that will be following the flight is one that I built part of the interior for back around 2002. I built the tables that go between the seats in back.

Sparky, I can't check the link yet but I have heard of this event. I think its awesome and cool that you can go! I would go if I was down there in that area. It is awesome to be a part of such things. You will have to tell us how it all turns out!

Lady

Now they've pushed it back to possibly the middle of next week. Bummer, I was all set to go this weekend with the video camera and the digital camera. They need cool air and calm winds for take-off, and the jetstream forecast has to be just right for the tailwind so that they can conserve fuel. Sounds like they've got it all figured down to a very, very tight window of opportunity for success. I'll keep ya posted.

Yeah, Sunshine and I are going up tomorrow. Taking the digital camera, and if I can find the battery charger, I'll be taking the camcorder, too! It's cold and rainy today.....maybe that's going to clear by tomorrow. It's about 70 miles straight north of me, and I'd hate to have to make the drive if they decide not to launch. Like a few years ago, we went to Georgia for our son's wedding and he drove us all the way down to Florida to see the 100th launch of the shuttle......they called it off 10 minutes after we got there!!! Bummer!!!

RE: CB ????

Update: Just checked the website, and the mission is now scheduled to lift off between 4 and 5PM, CST!!!!! At least they've narrowed it down from a 4 hour window to a one hour window. Sunshine and I will leave here around 2:30pm, which should put us at the Salina Airport at 3:30 and give us a half hour to get to one of the two public viewing areas. Camcorder is charging now, digital cam has fresh batteries, and I think I've even got film in my 35mm camera, plus I've got a 400mm telephoto lens with that, so I can get better close-up shots than the digital or camcorder. I'm so excited I think I just soiled myself!!! :oops: :lol:

RE: Got CB installed

Just got home a little while ago. We got a late start leaving. We were going up to the grocery store to grab some lunch and Sunshine's Camry wouldn't start (she didn't want to take the Jeep to Salina because it's too cold). So, after a quickie run to Walmart for a battery, I got the Camry going again. (Glad it died then and not after we got to Salina. We would have froze to death waiting for a jumpstart!) We got to Salina at 3:30. It was freakin' COLD out there on the runway!!!! We huddled up next to a hangar until about 6pm, when they announced they were ready to go, so we moved the lawnchairs out next to the security fence they had set up. Wind chills were in the teens and 20's. Finally, at 10 minutes to 7, the Global Flyer lumbered down the runway and took off. He was on a 2 mile long runway, and used every inch of it to get that plane in the air!!!! 83% of the weight of the airplane on takeoff was fuel. Of course, by the time he took off, it was just after sunset, so I couldn't get any pics or video of the take off. I got a few shots of the plane with the digital camera, they're kinda grainy because of the distance. I also took some video and some 35mm shots I'll have to get developed later. We froze our butts off, but it was worth it!!

Here's the plane waiting for take off:

GlobalFlyer1-3.jpg

And here's me and Sunshine trying to stay warm (thank God I kept my beard this winter!):
GFSS-3.jpg

sounded like a real COOL time! But on the bright side...You had Sunshine in your face...and Sunshine beside Ya! Doesn't get any better than that!

_(OIIIIO)_Jeeper said:
sounded like a real COOL time! But on the bright side...You had Sunshine in your face...and Sunshine beside Ya! Doesn't get any better than that!

That's a fact!!!

I doubt we'll get back there for the landing. I know Sunshine won't go back for it, she just got way too cold today. I might try to make it back up there, but I'm not sure if I can. I've got to take my brother to the airport in Wichita either Wednesday or Thursday, so that will make a difference.

According to the website, as of 10:25pm CST, he's just now clearing the eastern edge of the Great Lakes, flying at 311 knots and 32,000 feet. The plane took off carrying 18,000 lbs of fuel!

Great Pictures and thanks for sharing! I saw the modern flyer and steve on the news. That is just awesome that you were there and he got up in the air. I didn't know you could check on his flight too. Cool!

Lady

Sparky-Watts said:
According to the website, as of 10:25pm CST, he's just now clearing the eastern edge of the Great Lakes, flying at 311 knots and 32,000 feet. The plane took off carrying 18,000 lbs of fuel!

Hey, he must've flown over my area while I was asleep... That's kinda cool...

I'm envious, Sparky, you're right there witnessing history in the making...

As of 6am CST, he was over the Atlantic headed for Africa at an altitude of 43,000 feet and a speed of 350 knots (about 400mph). He said the plane is handling very well, despite the heavy fuel.

Man, when he took off, we thought he was going to crash! He got just off the runway, then dipped suddenly back down toward it before climbing. They said that's normal for a heavy plane, they do it as a way to gain airspeed to climb higher. Sure scared me! And the wings were flexed upward about 15 feet on each side, too, in kind of a flattened "U" shape.

Back