A little dissappointed in my tire performance

Jeepster05

I went wheeling today for the first time in a month or so and had a little traction trouble. My rear tires are worn in the middle due to a little over inflation but have plenty of tread on the side. These things acted like slicks in the mud today. Oh by the way they're 33x12.50 Wide climber RVT radials. I couldn't climb a hill that a month ago I flew up. I need to get some new tires fo sho.

I didn't let any air out so i was around 35psi. I usually don't have to and they used to do great. Oh and by the way welcome back, long time no see how's that neon doin??

35 psi?? I am not a tire pressure expert but that seems a wee-bit high. The PSI rating on the side of a tire is merely for a reference usually for cold and under full load. Your Jeep even throwing everything possible in her it couldn't get to the load limit.

My Jeep runs about 28 psi on the street lower for trails. I didn't run 35 psi in my one ton unless she is going to be loaded.

I run about 30psi or under on the road,and 20psi or under offroad.

Really! The amount of PSI seems a wee bit too low for my taste. I would think they are underinflated. I usually run it at 35 psi as well.-al

I keep mine at 35 psi too. I take them down to 32 for trail riding. Doesn't sound like much but they are softer with just 3 psi less! They recommend 50 psi max, now that seems high!!!

On the trails, it's a huge difference! The difference between making and not is sometimes due to airing down.

I lost at the sand drags uphill, at 25 psi. Didn't do anything different shifting-wise, and won my next heat versuse the same guy at 15 psi. (at everyones insistence) How low you can go is due to your tire wall strength. Some tires are so sturdy, i've seen people air down the goodyear MTR's to 10 psi with phenominal results.

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it, and felt the difference. It is amazing!

For the trails: 18-20 psi.

What was your old tire size?

i run mine @ 20 psi on the street and about 12 offroad...hopwever these are my biasply swampers but even with my street tires i only ran them at a max of 30 psi.

I know PSI rates differ dramaticly. But saying your tires are rated at 50 psi is irrelivent to your Jeep. A one ton van with 1- 1 1/2 tons of extra stuff needs to be at the rated 50- 65 psi to allow the tires to ride correctly. But a tire rated for a 3/4-1 ton truck stuffed under your light weight Jeep isn't considered when figuring out the load rating. I ignore those ratings unless they are on the right rig. But checking for a pattern or imprint is the easiest ways to get a desent idea.

Just check the tread pattern after rolling through a parking lot someday. If the dust touches evenly from the edge to edge of the tread then you're probably OK. But if it isn't touching the outer edge they are way to high. You will get better mileage because you're running on 10.5 tires instead of the full 12.5. But you wearing the center of the tire out. Heck 35 inch tires might need that because of the tall side wall??

If you have one of those cool inferred thermometers you can messure the temp in three spots left edge, middle, right edge, and this will nail it down perfect. Good old racing tire test.

Obviously everyone does things differently. But I had to pass on the info. My BF AT's on my 79 CJ sit 28 psi as mentioned before. My savero MT's (??) sat at 24 psi on the street. Once you figure vehicle weight, rim width, tire size, side way thickness, etc etc each set up is going to be different

Putting a thick line of chalk across the tread and driving will also let you know if you have the proper psi for the street,

I used to run my Swamper Radials at 45psi just to keep it on the center of the tire, it had the two solid ribs that run the circumference. Kept wear off the outer lugs that are responsible for all the churning. I wouldn't recommend that with other MT's.

In my Mickey Baja Claws the guy at the factory told me 20 PSI daily and could hold a bead down to 6 PSI off road. Man they were never aired down cause they folded over the rocks real good yet no sway or give on the road at road speeds. Go figure. He told me the rated PSI was to high on the tire and caused center wear and at 20 you would get much more mileage out of a set. tug

i got 33 in my tires on and off road and there doing fine never had a problem, i got 33x12.50 bfg's

Back