A Bling-Bling Project

OK, I admit that what follows is a total bling-bling project, but I like it anyway. Hopefully, a few others will like it too.

I have grown accustomed to having an overhead console showing the compass heading and outside temp in my cars. I have missed that feature in my CJ, so I thought I would make a sort of mini-overhead compass-temp console for the "Bubbacon."

So, Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, off to the junkyard I go to acquire the electronic circuit board and temperature sensor from a Chrysler Town and Country van. (This is why I was in the junkyard on the day I discovered the FJ-3, Fleetvan.)

Here is the circuit card from the Chrysler overhead console on my bench. The circuit card is being tested and fitted to the Radio Shack project box. There was a wiring plug on the board, but I desoldered and removed that plug so as to allow the use of a more shallow box.

image-missing.png

The circuit card installed in the project box. I cut a rectangular window into the box cover and glued in the smoked plastic window from the Chrysler overhead console. The circuit card is here powered-up by a car battery.

image-missing.png

Here is a picture of the outside temp sensor that I mounted under the front crossmember of the "Bubbacon" frame. The sensor connects via two wires to the electronic circuit board. The cicuit card uses the sensor to measure the outside ambient temperature.

image-missing.png

The finished compass-temp mini-console mounted to the CJ windshield frame using common "L" brackets and the mounting holes for the footman loop. The smaller box mounted atop the compass-temp box is a digital clock salvaged from a Honda.

image-missing.png

Another picture, included only because it shows the halo that perpetually encircles my head. My halo shows up well against the newly painted ceiling of the hardtop, doesn't it? :roll:

image-missing.png

OK -- you can post your comments now. Just remember that Christmas is coming and I have a good memory.

:mrgreen:

Bling-blingingly yours,

Gadget

Cool idea! That's what I like.....turning a Jeep into what YOU want. To me that's what makes a Jeep so much fun. You can customize it to be whatever you want.

damn dude, thats pretty awesome...wish i could do stuff that complicated.....also that is a most excelent paint job on your hard top

Very cool and nice work!I want to mount my cb and a few compartments like that when and if I get a full roll cage.

Nice Work :shock: Good idea too. I to enjoy the compass and temp read out. I have that feature in the KJ, but like your CJ used to be my TJ is in the directional and temperture dark :lol:

Awesome Idea, another way to achieve this cheap, is to locate a rear view mirror from a 97-99 tahoe, suburban, yukon. They all had those compasses built into them with the temp.

I used one out of a 97 camaro that I found in a junk yard for $10, no compass or anything, but I have a dome light now!

Johnny

First off, I see Inspector likes halloween! lol

Secondly, that setup is just awesome. I love that compass temperature feture too. It is awesome that you have the talent to do that yourself. That is an area I am so lacking on. Before this Jeep, I could have cared less about learning mechanics and It is a little late to be starting now. lol

Johnny, that mirror idea is really smart too! I shall keep that in mind.

Now how could we dog you for that mod Inspector? It's way to cool for that. It's not like you installed seat heaters or something like that. lol Don't tell me, they are next.

Lady

Mr. Gadget, Wha? That is one hell of an idea, with a crap load of talent behind it. I would never endeavor to do that.

A few posts ago you teased yourself for having WAY too much time on your hands. It's true, you do, but if this innovation is the outcome I say keep it up!!! I envy you.

How will it look with your top off??

To: Deerhunter30, Nymisus, Sully, TwistedCopper, K-Phat, jps4jeep, LadyJeepFreak, Snitty, mingez,

Thank you, all. I am glad you liked my project. A few thoughts regarding your responses:

Deerhunter -- I completely agree. I enjoy taking an off-the-rack, one size fits all Jeep and tailoring it to fit my needs and wants.

Nymisus and Mingez -- Thank you, but you give me too much credit for technical prowess. This project is actually very simple. Four wires: Key-on hot, chassis ground and two wires to the outboard temp sensor.

jps4jeep -- I investigated the rear view mirrors with integrated temp and compass. That is an equally good -- possibly better -- method, except for cost and probable difficulty of finding a wiring diagram. Those mirrors often sell for over $100.00 on e-Bay and who knows what luck I might have had finding one in a junkyard? My total cost for this project was well under $30.00.

Also, I previously installed a Chevy S-10 map-lighted interior rearview mirror because I wanted some sort of overhead lighting upon opening of the "Bubbacon" doors. To that end, I also installed two step-bumper truck license plate lights in the rear stereo speaker boxes. The speaker box lights illuminate the rear seat floor area to provide safe nighttime entry/egress.

Here is a photo-collage of the map-lighted rearview mirror and the speaker box lights.

image-missing.png

When a "Bubbacon" door is opened now, it is like...BROADWAY JEEP!!! :wink:

mingez -- I dunno how it will look when the top is off. We will find out next spring. The box can be lowered by using a different set of holes in the "L" brackets if it interferes with the bikini or soft top.

LadyJeepFreak -- this is going to be embarrassing for me. :oops:

LadyJeepFreak wrote: " It's not like you installed seat heaters or something like that. lol Don't tell me, they are next."

(Inspector-G blushes furiously and shifts his weight from foot to foot because he knows that he has been found out and is trapped like a rat.)

OK -- A sneak preview of my current project: The Inspector-G, "Hades" Model-2105, Tootsie Toaster and Bun Warmer.

image-missing.png

A CJ-7 heater core and two 12-Volt DC muffin fans, to be assembled in a perforated box, plumbed into the existing heater hoses and mounted under the front passenger seat. This project will hopefully keep my always "freezing" main-squeeze warm and toasty when we go "Bubbacon" joy-riding. If she isn't kept warm, she might get mad and cut-off my supply of her world-class meatloaf.

Anyone who knows me knows that...

image-missing.png

:mrgreen:

But, another day for that project.

Gratitude to all who took the time to read and reply.

Your gadget-crazy,

Gadget

LOL @ Gadget, OMG you have given me a laugh this bright and early. Off to work, enjoy your day!!! Make something cool for the Jeep!

Lady

Back