97 Wrangler, whole lotta shakin goin on

scutter9

Hi Jeepers,
I have a 97 wrangler with a 3" suspension lift, 33x9.50 tires,and at 50 or so miles an hour, certain road bumps will make the entire Jeep shake so bad you can not hardly control it. stopping and resumming driveing will always stop it, but when it starts it will scare the bejesus out of you, It only occurs at speeds above 50. Help I need somebody[addsig]

First off are your tires balanced ...Is there alot
of dirt and mud on the inside of the rim????? :-? [addsig]

It sounds like the Track bar is loose. The bottom bolt has a tendency to work its way loose. It should be a 15 mm and a tab nut on the back. If this comes loose the front axle will move around uncontrolably and the only way to stop it is to slow down to almost a stop. Thats where I would start. If you start the truck and have someone move you steering wheel back and forth quickly you should be able to see if there is any slop in the track bar bushing.
[addsig]

Crawl under there and check every thing bolted down in the supension. Grab everything and give it a good hard shake and pull. put a wrench to stuff and give it a good pull for good mesure. How long has your lift been on? Have you retorqued everything sence it was installed? I was just under ol Jeezabell a little whaile ago checking it all out myself. good Luck and hope it goes well. Tug[addsig]

Back