90 xj sensor diagnosis

drwood

Have a question for you all. I bought a non-running 1990 XJ. Found computer was wrong in it, and this has been replaced with a new one. Now, it will only start with "ether", then runs so-so. I need some info on how to determine which sensor is causing this problem. Is there a code scanner I can get fairly cheap to diagnose my computer nightmare? Do not want to start replacing sensors by the process of elimination to find the faulty one. Please help!

A good shop will have a scanner that can read the Renix computer through the Chrysler style diagnostic ports on the pass. side fender.

I will check into that. The Jeep is a basket case really. Transmission and xfer, exhaust, driveshafts are all out of it. I bought it this way,for the drivetrain/powertrain. I am trying to get it running to put intrals into a 83 Eagle S/X4. It has been a blind date buy off of Ebay and I am really struggling to find all flaws for it to run correctly. Thanks for your reply. By the way this is a 90 with the AX15 5speed as well. I have a 88 model with 33's/auto.

Back