89 Cherokee dies randomly

05Millrat

89 Cherokee grand Laredo 250+ thousand miles original engine and transmission. Runs great normally but it started stalling out but would restart most of the time. Yesterday I replaced the crank position sensor. It started just fine ran for a half hour, turned it off and it won't restart . Check fuel pressure 29psi to 34ps, spark seemed to be a little weak . And starting flufluid didn't help,almost seems like timing was off, then it started and ran fine then died again . What am I missing

If the crank sensor didn't have the paper spacer gasket like oem ones do the sensor could have been damaged by being incerted too far.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

05Millrat Welcome to JeepZ

JPNinPA has given you a good starting point. what engine do you have in your Jeep ? if its the 4.0 six you might want to also check your IACV ( Idel Air Control Valve). Its a motor driven plunger type thing on your carb. it can cause the same problem your having. I hope this helps.
Mike

and you can just clean the idle control valve, instead of buying a new one. pull it out and spray the crap out of it with crab cleaner. then do the same where it mounts to the throttle body. just don't pull on that plunger or you will HAVE to buy a new one

Back