'83 CJ-7 Carb/exhaust replacement.

wickerpete

I have redone the body and now it is time to do something about the performance (or lack there of). I have the stock carb and a cracked exhaust manifold. I'm thinking of a new Weber or Holley/manifold and header. Need some recomendations and help from anyone who has replaced either or both. Thanks a lot![addsig]

Love the Weber. Cannot even describe the improvment except for its like a whole new engine, feels like an extra 25 HP. as far as the header, I dunno, we arent allowed to have fun stuff like that in lower NY.[addsig]

I have the Weber 38DGVS series carb and like Jeppthrills says it like a new motor, but be careful I dont know how old your engine is and what kind of mileage is on it , but i ran into a problem that really screwed me up. Since the Weber does away with alot of the stock vacuum crapola, I hooked everything up just the way they tell you in the instuctions, but my old engine had alot more blow by then I would have even thought....what happend well it basically wanted to blow the valve cover off the head, and was forcing all the oil to the top end of the engine caseing me to mess up the bearings, didnt spin one but at a certain rpm range i can hear em bangin in the bottom end my own stupid fault
image-missing.png
so what i did was run the vacuum line that goes to the back of the airfilter down the side of the block and let the blow by drip out the bottom she runs great except for the new bottom end worries.......So just be careful...me I got so excited with the way it was running with the Weber I couldnt wait to hit the trails, and before I realized what was going on it was to late. [addsig]

Thanks guys. Very much appreciate the help. The engine has 110K on it and was redone with new pistons and cam, etc. at 105K, so it is quite "new". I know enough about engines to be dangerous, so am a bit confused by the last posting. Not sure what "blow by" really means etc. What do you think about hooking up this carb to an engine that has been recently redone? I'll take any advice. Thanks.[addsig]

Back