4x4 Beaches

NCdave1970

Just wondering if anyone knows of any Beaches near Wilmington, NC that allow 4x4's on the Beach. I know the outer-Banks do, just wondering if there is anything farther south available!

i believe down near rodanthe, but i think thats probably still considered the OBX

If you go to the south end of Carolina Beach there is a long stretch of beach that you can ride on too. Go just past Fort Fisher historic site and turn left before you get to the NC Aquarium. It's less crowded than the north end.

You have to pay a for a day pass or season pass for either end of the beach that you use, north or south. They just started that last year.

4x4 Beaches - Most of Hatteras just closed

The Audubon Society and Defenders of Wildlife do not like 4 x 4 access to any of our parks and recreational areas - EVEN when Congress specifically authorized it. A recent court action in relation to a lawsuit they filed has forced the closing of miles and miles of very popular fishing, 4x4 driving and recreating beaches of Cape Hatteras National Seashore RECREATIONAL Area.

They are closed to not just offroad vehicle traffic but ALL human activity.

Here is a Hatteras Island newspaper story about the current situation.

Island Free Press ...Local News

Look at the pictures - LOTS of Law Enforcement - including Special Enforcement Teams - just to keep my Red Jeep off the beach.

Isn't it nice to know that your tax dollars are being spent to support an organization that can arrest you and prosecute you as a criminal for committing the high crime of going to a beach and and possibly getting too close to a bird. Because everybody knows that we need federal laws to designate people as criminals if they upset the feelings of a bird.

I've grown up on beaches of NC and been here for 41 years now. Trust me, there just as many piping plovers, terns, and oyster catchers as there have ever been. And the turtles have multiplied to a point that you can't go out in the boat any time and not see one.

This is so stupid that can't fathom it.

The loonies are running the asylum!

Sorry to hijack but I'm going to be moving to Charleston, SC pretty soon so any of you Carolina folks know of any SC beach ridin places?

Back