4Hi or 4Lo

Deerhunter30

I have a question.....I went Jeepin' with Jhiggins and USMPK9 last weekend and learned a lot. For one thing, my Carter BBD does not like inclines! I learned throughout the day that on climbs or deep ruts when I might get on an incline or tilt that if I used 4Lo it kept the revs up and therefore kept the motor running better. For the first half of the day I was in 4Hi and 1st gear the whole time. Is there any problem with using 4Lo and 2nd gear for the tough stuff and then on smoother terrain and a little more speed is appropriate use 4Lo and 3rd or 4th gear.? That would have saved me from swithching back and forth from 4Lo and 4Hi. Thanks for any help. Just trying to learn more and be a better pilot off road.

Thats the why I prefer a manual over an auto transmission.With a manual,you have more gear options.It will be fine to use 1- your highest gear in LO range.I love it!!!I never use 4 wheel high that much,it will get some use this weekend out on the beach.

when i wheel i always am in LO and if i need to go fast (16~17) mph i use 4th.... there really is never a reason to use wheel high IMO......UNLESS you have a granny first gear....like a T-18 which you dont have in a 83 jeep

I wheel in 4 Lo nad 2 Lo a bunch due to the Cable posi lock on the front differential. I run 2 Lo in third and forth a bunch of the time and lock it into 4 lo when it gets hairy! tug

I plow often, and we live in a very snowy area... and some of our trails are more like muddy roads... I use 4hi ALL the time... and when I am on technical trails, I get into lo

Interesting topic. I could use more 4hi 4 low knowledge myself. I 4lo'd a sand pit the first time and evenutally got stuck. I 4 hi'd it the second time and flew across it. 4hi'd the whol second time, in mud, trails and sand...it seemed to be the way to go for me. Gotta check out the speeds tho, I'm not good about watching them, I just go by feel.

clutch bypass switch

One of the reasons that 4lo worked better for me over a lot of stuff is because the Carter carb does not like the inclines and when I was able to keep the revs up around 2000 on the inclines it ran better.

You can use whatever gear you feel comfortable in and it keeps you moving and running .....GOOD POST ...when are we going again???

Back