4 wheel drive help

one4fester

my 88 cherokee 4.0 when i put i n 4 x 4 the only light that comes on is part time no matter if lever is in 4 part time 4lo or 4 high.The front hubs engage and disengage properly.What light should come on is 4 high and low.Also i have heard conflicting stories on wet or icy conditions at higher speeds should parttime or 4high be used thanks 4 any help im a 2nd shifter so im on later mostly after midnight on week days.

First, we need to know if you have the 231 or 242 transfer case. There is a round tag on the back of the transfer case that will indicate model number. Or tell us if your shifter has the fulltime 4hi option.

Sounds like you have the 231 which is only 2hi, 4hi, N, 4lo. The 242 is 2hi, 4hi fulltime, 4hi parttime, N, 4lo.

With the 231, the part-time light is the only light that will come on, regardless of 4hi or 4lo. You can see where the full-time light would be but there is no bulb there on XJ's equipped with the 231 transfer case.

Keep the jeep in 4hi on icy conditions, wouldn't use it on wet roads unless you suspect spotty ice. Use 4lo when offroad and you need the control of a slower jeep, and the gear reduction of the low gears.

pic of shifter plate could some one have swaped or is this correct

Attachments

• moto_0096.jpg
    moto_0096.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 147

Your shifter bezel is for a 242 so the 'fulltime' position doesn't apply to your 231. You can snap in a 231 bezel if it bothers you, very plentiful in the junkyards.

Basically don't use the 'parttime' positions on dry roadway.

THe trouble I have is my part time light never comes on. Used to. I've adjusted the linkage after lift and nothing but I guess as long a my 4wd works :?|

THe trouble I have is my part time light never comes on. Used to. I've adjusted the linkage after lift and nothing but I guess as long a my 4wd works :?|
Have you tried checking the lightbulb? One of the funniest (and frustrating) incidents I've had with working on a car involved lights that wouldn't come on. Checked all the wiring (traced it all the way from battery to light fixture and back again), checked everything we could think of, only to realize that we'd forgotten to check if the light bulb itself had burned out or not. It had burned out. We laugh about it now, but... Well, lets just say some choice words were used at the time :)

tessa, funny you should say that because I thought about the bulb too but I have just said can't be and never checked. I will now and see. I guess the reason I never did is because I had my forgot it was in 4hi and I turned kind of tight and the tire jumped and the light went out and has never come back on since. I will check the bulb:shades:p0p

2000 TJ with a 4" lift. I don't have a bracket on te shifter however I have readjusted the linkage so it does go completely into 4hi/lo w/o jumping out under stress.

The linkage doesn't have much to do with your light. If you're positive the shifter is engaging 4wd, then it's either a bad bulb or a bad 4wd switch on the transfer case. Could also be a bad wire between the two.

I know it goes into both 4hi/lo because I plow with it too. But I will check all the others.

well I finally got to pulling my dash apart seeing my fan speed switch went out also. I changed the bulb with the upshift light bulb (which drives me nuts anyhow) and the light still doesn't come on. At the same time I don't have an upshift light anymore. :?|I assume the part time bulb was bad but now the working still doesn't light. Sounds like when it's warmer I need to climb under and check the switch down there. :coffee:

Back