4.0 ltr engine oil pressure

greg92jeepxj

Official Supporter
Just would like to pass this on to all who's vehicle uses the I6 engine ; just did an oil change and was time for a new o-ring seal from oil filter sending unit to block . Upon removal , I checked the inner two o-rings and found the center ring was somewhat thin and loose . After changing all three and reinstalling , I immediately noticed better oil pressure and of course smoother running as well . Will this is maintenance as usual , I am surprised at how many jeep owners either neglect or are unaware of the other two o-rings that are vital to not only leaks , but adequate pressure as well . I would think the lot of us know this but thought I would pass this on as a reminder as our rigs life depends on it and would not like it to become an over site ! If the center o-ring (smallest) is not sealing well , oil will just by-pass under pressure and not reach adequate pressure not allowing proper lubrication to the entire engine ! Let us preserve our engines life by tending to this simple procurement and our jeeps will thank us and we will be so very thankful ourselves in the long run . Hope this helps .

staticmapcenter4053712574148661zoom14mar-1.jpg

staticmapcenter4053676574148065zoom14mar-1.jpg

Other minor improvements I have found and would like to pass along : front driveshaft lubrication ; if your driveshaft is like mine on my '92 XJ auto w/select - trac , the forward most u-joint is a standard ZERK fitting but the rear double joint at t-case yoke have fittings on one cap on each joint but not in the spider . One can barely be accessed just ahead of the trans crossmember but to access the second you may have to drill a locating hole to put a grease gun through . Mine had a hole started in crossmember but had to finish with a 1/2" bit to clear the lube tip . A grease needle placed against the spring loaded ball will work well with the proper tip . Lubrication is essential , but no one wants to throw a driveshaft , especially so close to your oil pan !

Upper radiator hose clamp : when properly placed , the clamp may be right under the upper radiator support . While removeable, why would we do that when all is needed is an access hole to put a 5/16" 1/4" drive socket through to tighten or snug up a leak ? This will save time for future replacement hose and minor leak fix quickly . Hope this helps .

Last edited:
Recently I posted changing o-rings on the oil filter sending unit of my 92 jeep XJ 4.0 ltr. , that and a oil pressure switch were to prevent oil from possible spraying at starter in an effort to find the cause of the last starter's demise which played nice almost 13 years but just went 3 or 4 weeks ago . So far so good , but failed to post another probable cause ; the heater control valve just above it . Although newly replaced just after hurricane sandy hit , I just noticed the starter had coolant drops on the underside when I was changing the two exhaust header studs at the collector and pipe to cat . Took the joy right out of it !
No one likes to have to change a part they just changed , but may have to pony up and do it anyway if I cannot repair it .
Will pop out the two Phillips screws and look for o-rings ? Hope so . But just another cause I found toward early starter death besides oil . Hope I can hang on to the alternator longer as it was replaced same time same day as starter about 13 years ago.
Working , but don't want to put the whammy on it ! Want my a/c and don't want to relocate it either due to water issues! Hope my 4x4 little life's lessons may help someone but I know we got a lot of good people in jeepz.com that have been doing a great job looking out for one another . All too happy to relay my thoughts if I can help !

Last edited:
Back