33's or 35's?

bgentry414

About to start the build on my 2000 tj sport. It has the 4.0 and auto transmission. I was wondering pros/cons and how much more expensive 35s will cost me...everything including fuel mileage lift sye. Im thinking a 4" lift with 33's, but dont want to change my mind and want to go bigger later on. Also will the auto transmission hold up with the 35's?

on a TJ you can fit 35's with 4" lift.

cost analysis between the two regarding fuel consumption... if your looking to lift a jeep and put larger than stock tires on it, fuel milage should be your last concern.

If I were you, I would start out with a 4" lift and some 33's and go from there, start upgrading the short comings as they become appearant to you. skids, lockers, chomo's, gears, etc..

I don't have an answer for you because I'm considering the same upgrades.

I finally concluded, for me, that 33's will be big enough to do what I want to do, and that's what I will go with. The 35's look great, but I felt that the extra diameter would put too much stress on my Dana 30/35 axels, and I did not have the money to upgrade those to something more robust liek the Dana 44s. I did put in better axel shafts when I put in my lockers, so that means my set up should be pretty good for 33's with not much chance of busting one on the trail.

Good luck on your build.

Anyway, my lift is next, and I'm debating a 3" short arm or going for the 4" long arm. But until money frees up a bit, I'm staying where I'm at now with no lift.

on a TJ you can fit 35's with 4" lift.

cost analysis between the two regarding fuel consumption... if your looking to lift a jeep and put larger than stock tires on it, fuel milage should be your last concern.

If I were you, I would start out with a 4" lift and some 33's and go from there, start upgrading the short comings as they become appearant to you. skids, lockers, chomo's, gears, etc..

I second this; 33's will get you to 98% of the places that 35's will get you. You may need to be a little wiser when driving (picking better lanes, and so forth), and maybe winch a bit more, but you will get there.

Now, the main reason I say 33's, though, is that 35's will probably be too much for the D35, especially if you are considering a lockeer. If you do plan to upgrade the axle, I would skip the chromo shafts for the rear and go directly to a D44 or Ford 8.8; with that mod, then I would say 35's (the D30 should hold up fine with 35's). Since you have the 4.0L, you dont need to worry about engine being TOO sluggish or transmission issues with 35's (the only real eak link for that size is the D35). Also, the cost of the tires is only a bit more, and fuel milage will not differ TOO much, yet you would gain 1" of ground clearance.

Having said that, I run 33's, and I run shoulder to shoulder with guys running 35's and 38's, even with my little 4-banger.

Great advice, that's exactly what I'm doing and it's working out great. So I'd say 4"lift & 33s.

I have 35"s and love them but I used a 15x9 wheel so it's not as bulky looking and it grabs pretty good off road. I am shopping for a new set again.
The last set I bought was back in 06 and they lasted pretty long they were "Maxis Big Horns" They look good too nice aggressive look and still drove nicely on the the pavement. GoodLuck

Oh ya I forgot they run about 220.00 each not a bad price for 35's make sure you shop around for the best price cuase I found some at a shop here in norman oklahoma for 198.00 each

Back