31 inch tires on factory rear tire mount

ATHiker

I have a 2000 TJ, Sport Anyone know if I can place a 31in tire on the rear factory tire mount or if I have to purchase an aftermarket mount? If I have to get another, any recommendations on type or manufacture that’s works and is easy to install. Thanks in advance.

Since you didn't say what type of Jeep you have, I'll assume TJ from your aviator. I have a 33 inch tire on the stock mount. The 31 should be no problem.

phatyaspen said:
i had a 35 on mine w/ no problem

Not with the stock bumper.It wont fit unless you make an adapter of some kind.Or cut the stock bumper where the tire would hit .

rock rails

that may have been after editing his post... careful with the big tires... they can hurt your hinges

Ayup, got a 31 on mine. There needs to be some mods to the bumpstops, I had to take one or two off. The tire was blocking the tailgate from closing (hitting bumper) but it'll work. I guess there is some here with more than a 31 on thiers, interesting.

Lady

I had my 31" tire on my stock spare mount and with the offset rim it's on, the stock rubber bumpstops were too short. I took some hockey pucks and doubled them up, then drilled a hole through the center and they worked perect.

It's good if the spare slightly rubs the bumper when closing the tailgate, it'll help take some of the weight off the hinges.

I've got a 32x11.50 tire on my stock mount. Just had to remove all of the bumpstops and place spacers and longer bolts to lift the 3rd brake light up. It barely clears the stock bumper.

Don't they make a spacer for that? I'm pretty sure I've seen one in catalogs. The weight of a 31 shouldn't be too much for the stock hinges. I bet the Rubicon uses the same hinges, right?

u-joints

TwistedCopper said:
Don't they make a spacer for that? I'm pretty sure I've seen one in catalogs.

They do make spacers for it, but they're $94.00 + shipping in the catalogs. The 8 large nuts and 4 bolts I used only cost me about $3.00.

it will be fine. i have a 32" swamper on a black steel rim on mine and it's been fine.

Back