3.73 OR 4.89 gear ratio?

Tyler 67

I have a 67 cj5 with 33" mud terrains. Im in the procces of a different rearend due to transmission swap. It will be used offroad but also on the hiway.The front wich is the only one i have and installed is 4.88 and i the rear that needs to be installed has 3.73 so i have to pick a ratio and do some switching.wich one would be best?

Which engine and transmission?

Different gear ratios are more suited to certain engine and transmission combos.

I'm far from being an expert but some thoughts....Definitely recommend a overdrive with 4.89 and 33"s . Would be great off road but on the highway your rpms will be pegged. Had 4.56 with 35's with a 3 speed and I was screaming on the highway.

I agree with bounty hunter as well.

Not real familiar with the RPM's that engine works well with, but with the 3spd and no overdrive you may want to stock with the 3.73 gears. If the engine doesn't mind high RPM's, or if you limit your highway driving and want better offroad performance, go with the 4.88 gears.

Well i dont have an overdrive and im not going with any bigger tires so i may go with the 3.73 due to the highway use.The front has a dana 27 with 4.88, is it difficult to switch to 3.73 or whats a good option?

The Buick 225 is not a high rev engine, it is well known for almost diesel like low end torque due to the very heavy flywheel. Since you are swapping axles I would swap in a Narrow track D30 up front as well, or a wide track if you want a little more stability. Nobody wants them so they are cheap. Either axle is a bolt in swap for your D27, you just need to adjust the tie rods. Speaking of tie rods, I would also seriously consider changing over to a Saginaw steering from your Ross style, much easier to keep aligned and less play makes for more enjoyable driving. The D27 has a lot of weak points, design flaws, and obsolete ($$$) parts in it. It is the weakest front diff Dana/Spicer ever made. The 33" tires are going to prove to be a little too much for that axle in the long run. I have only seen 5.38, 4.88, 4.27 gears in stock for the D27,25 axles. I have seen 3.73 but they have been discontinued. There are many more gear selections for the D30, not to forget the D30 has much improved brakes, some even with disc brakes.
I did the NT D30w/disc brakes swap on my CJ2a and am very happy I did. Unfortunately it wasn't until I had dumped a ton of money into rebuilding the D25.

Last edited:
Well sweet thats just what I needed to know!!! I cant thank you guys enough.But I'll try(THANKYOU)!!!Oh yeah is a wide trac out of a cj 7? not real familiar with this department.

Last edited:

Yes, Wide track came in mid 82 & UP CJ7 & CJ8 Scramblers. All have disc brakes and you may get lucky to find one with 3.73's or 4.10 gears which would at least let you drive on the highway. 4 cylinder CJ7's & CJ8's were more common to have 4.10's in the last couple years of production when coupled with a manual transmission.

Rick

On the Jeeps I have worked on the spring perch width on NT and WT was the same. Overall the axles are wider by only 3" in front axle and 4" on the rear axles. But there are a few different axle widths so I suppose it depends on which you have.

Last edited:
Back