$266 for a steering pump?

Greencuke

i brought it in, cause i really didn't want to deal; w/ that high pressure hose, and they told me i needed a new pump. does anyone think $266 is too high?[addsig]

my power steering pump is acting up too... i've seen some stuff on ebay for about a hundred bucks; but they were for tj's... i need one for my Xj... anyway, this price of $266, is that just for the part? parts and labor? from a dealer or local shop?

-nate[addsig]

that's kinda expensive for an auto-part store replacment, you can get a good aftermarket one for about $300-$350[addsig]

For $266 I could afford to spend some time calling around to a few junk yards. Call Lares. Corp. in Minniapolis Min. and ask them for a price. Or take it to a hydrolic shop and have them replace the line for you. Places that fix tractors often do there own hydrolic lines. Many hydrolic fittings (and more than a few pumps) are fairly universal. The pressure, in the high pressure line, is around 650 PSI if they ask at the shop.[addsig]

HOLY &%^$ !!!! Dude you are getting screwed on that deal!!! I went to Auto-Zone and picked up a remanufactured one for about $80 and put it in myself (its not that hard...just disconnect the 2 hoses and remove a few bolts. AutoZone even pulled my old pulley off for free so I could reuse it. I gave them my old pump for the core charge (about $35) as well. I don't know if you have autozone where you live but I would try NAPA as well (if you have those) Seriously man that is way too much money for a pump. Just pick up a Haynes manual for $12 and you probably can get the pump (reman) for around $80-$100. The manual has detailed instructions on how to take off the old pump and put a new one. [addsig]

Back