2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee crank wont start

1127duke7211

I have changed CKP, CPS, CPM, still nothing. Checked for Spark I have spark, don't know how to check injectors, tried starting fluid
did not start, would a stretched timming chain cause it to not start?

I have changed CKP, CPS, CPM, still nothing. Checked for Spark I have spark, don't know how to check injectors, tried starting fluid
did not start, would a stretched timming chain cause it to not start?
If you think it is the timing chain check the timing with a light you should be able to see if the marks line up using a light while someone cranks it. You could also remove the spark plugs and turn the motor by hand or with a socket on the harmonic balancer bolt and align the timing mark on the balancer with TDC and check your distributor is pointing to #1 on the cap.

Last edited:
Injectors you should hear/feel tick when you place a screwdriver on the back of the injector,
Fuel pressure?
Fuel pump fuses or relay?
Pics of spark plugs?
Clean TB and IAC. Check IAC and TBS connections.

Any codes???

When you replaced the CPS snd CKP did you use OEM. Others can be bad out of the box.
Was there s paper gasket on the CKP when you changed it. The gasket keeps the space and rubs off when running. Without it you can crack the CKP on the first start.

Check wear on OPDA gear and CAM. These have been known to go bad and they set timing more than timing chain.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Thank for your advice I have checked fuel pressure its 45 to 50 psi its electronic ignition, going to borrow a timing light,
and no neither new CKP. or CMP sensors had paper on the tip, relays and fuses all good. I do get a check engine light flash which
indicates intermittent loss of CMP or CKP. before changing both sensors got a P1391 code. It has started for 2 or 3 seconds a couple of times and then stop and wont start again. I will check conecttions and I don't know what OPDA gear and cam are
explain and I'll check. Thank you for your advice, it was my nephews' and he passed away and I am trying to get it running for my sis his mother, it wasn't working at the time and no one knew what happened when it quit.

Fuel pressure should be 49.5 +/-5 and should be steady across 700-5000 rpm. Not that this is your no start cause.
Just the ckp has a paper gasket.
Image1722292653.452795.jpg

On 00-06 TJ the 4.0 has an issue with ODPA weRing the CAM gear.
The CPS sits on the ODPA

Image1722292944.288935.jpg

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Back