2000 TJ door removal

petedorsi

I just bought a 2000 TJ and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to take the bolts off to remove the doors without scratching the paint on the bolts. Thanks a lot.

Pete
[addsig]

maybe try to wrap a cloth around a wrench and then torq the bolt out. if some paint does get scratched, touch=up paint is not that expensive at all.
[addsig]

I have a green 01 tj sahara. I have found that Turtle Wax produces a colored wax with a wax based scratch filler in a "lipstick" type container. Using the filler then putting the colored wax on can completely do away with a lot of small scratches and dings. I have also used their red wax on an Astro van with the same great results! However, it will not cover up everything. As far as protecting your paint on the door bolts, Try putting several layers of duct tape on a cresent wrench. This will allow you to get the jaws as tight as you can on the bolt with out scratching the paint. Use caution as cressent wrenches are known to be nuckle busters when they do slip. And, they do slip!
image-missing.png

[addsig]

>>I know this might sound stupid, but...... why not just lift the doors off the hinges????
Do they do that? We are talking about full doors right?
image-missing.png

[addsig]

The older CJs and the YJs just lift up, and off the Jeep. Don't know about the TJs
[addsig]

Since Pete has a 2000 TJ and was asking about removing the nut to remove the doors, I assumed that he has hard doors on his TJ. The pins on the doors have a nut on the bottom side that must be removed to allow the pin and door to be removed.

Another idea is to use a 1/4" ratchet and socket to remove the nut. Use caution as the head of the ratchet may be very close to the door. I find it easier to just roll down the windows.

Ed
image-missing.png

[addsig]

actually on most half door and fulll doors for yj and tj they have bolts i've seen a few 8without but that was due to the owner. I guess they thought that would be enough of a deterent to keep people from stealing them
[addsig]

Actually i have a 2000 TJ also, i just used a wrench without anything behind it and didnt scratch anything.. The only problem is it will take the paint off of the nuts. unless your worried about that, just be careful and if its stuck dont put all your strength into it or you mgiht break the nut off of the screw. (i know from experience)[addsig]

thanks, yeah it was the nuts i was worried about, i thought it was a bolt that went up the other way, not a nut that came off the bottom. I got them off, i did chip the paint, but ill live.[addsig]

Back