1988 Wrangler Suspension question

Dallas7415

Hello. I have a 1988 Wrangler soft top that hasn't been on the road in a while, but I want to put it back there. It has 33" BF Goodrich rubber on it. It has a lift on it, but I'm not sure what type or height. The street ride on it is brutal. It feels like it has pogo sticks on it. I can't drink a soda or coffee in it without pulling over. I'd like to change the suspension on it, but I have no idea what to get. The only off-roading I will be doing is occasional beach use and some dirt roads. It currently has Rough Rider (Sp?) shocks on it. If possible, I would like to start by just replacing the shocks (Steering stabilizer?) first and working from there. I am clueless about this stuff. Can anyone help me?

You can replace the shocks and it might help some. Be sure to get hydraulic (hydro) shocks and not 'gas charged', as they tend to ride more stiff.

You likely have a 4" spring lift kit. Your shackle bushings could be over tightened or seized, not allowing your spring to compress. This will make the ride really harsh. Try loosening the shackle bolts until the bolt spins smoothly,then flex the suspension like driving slowly at a 45* angle through a ditch.

Can you post a pic of your setup? Any markings on the springs?

You can replace the shocks and it might help some. Be sure to get hydraulic (hydro) shocks and not 'gas charged', as they tend to ride more stiff.

You likely have a 4" spring lift kit. Your shackle bushings could be over tightened or seized, not allowing your spring to compress. This will make the ride really harsh. Try loosening the shackle bolts until the bolt spins smoothly,then flex the suspension like driving slowly at a 45* angle through a ditch.

Can you post a pic of your setup? Any markings on the springs?

No markings that I can see. It's dark now, so I'll post pictures tomorrow. If the shocks alone won't make a big difference, I'll have someone change out whatever I have to. Any suggestions on a kit or shock/spring/part combo?

Too much air in the tires will also make it ride rough. Especialy with over size tires. Do a search for tire chalk test.

Yes, drop down to about 25 pounds and it will help the ride a lot!

Back