1987 wrangler odd?

picky

1987 jeep question. In the catalogs for jeep tops etc. the 87 is left out much of the time. Is this jeep an odd ball? I have one.

Picky

thats the first year the Wrangler YJ was introduced....

I'm looking through a catalogue right now and I don't seem to notice that at all. Bestop has '87-'95 tops, however, Quadratec does have a different model number for the '87. I have no idea why that is the case though.

The catalogue i'm looking at is called "Essentials; For Jeep Vehicles."

How come only Quadratec has different model numbers then. There has to be some sort of difference, doesn't there?

That just means the manufacture did not do their research. My 94 Blazer falls in the same catagory. It is the last year of the S-10. They took the Blazer badge after that and redesigned it. You just have to know what it is and if they do not have your year you can usualy just tell them one you know

There is a difference, as the '87 was the first year for the YJ and it was the transition year between AMC and Chrysler. Many '87 tops use snaps where '88+ used the rail attachment system.

oh, I didn't know that Bounty. How come Bestop sells tops that fit '87-'95 Jeeps then? They don't make it sound like you have to buy a different top for the '87

Some of the 87 half doors had snaps to hold the upper soft doors, while the rest of the top was belt-rail.

Probably because the early '87s had snaps, switching to the rails mid-year. If it were me I'd be talking to a sales rep on the phone if I owned a transition year jeep like the '87. Actually I do own a transition year jeep, my '95 YJ. Many of it's parts are more like a TJ than a YJ and I have to be careful how I order parts.

Back