1979 cj7 fuel gauge problems

snjfisk

I took on replacing my fuel tank and decided to replace sending unit and fuel gauge(never worked) and temp gauge. Everything was going well until I messed up and connected hot wire to S connection. took a minute to figure it out. gauge went to F and then to E and hasnt moved since. So I did the "Basic Troubleshooting for CJ gauges", which is great by the way. Basic Troubleshooting for CJ gauges
All the pen light tests worked as explained. Only thing that is little off is the Ohms test. see below

ground to S is 53 should be around 71
ground to I is 33 should be around 51
ground to A is 33 should be around 51

now you should know my numbers were the same when I put ground on a wire going straight to (-) terminal on battery or when placed ground on speedo gauge. I have a ground wire running from speedo to (-) term.

Do you think I burned the new guage up?
Am I missing somthing simple?
Should there be a insulating pad btwn the fuel guage and the metal speedo case? I put one on out side the speedo case btwn nut and speedo case?

thanks for help, sorry so long

guess this was a hard one. I decided this time to replace the whole speedo gauge. Now gas gauge works, but temp does not, so am planning on replacing temp sending unit.

But FYI was going to take her to local tire store to replace a leaking stem on one of my tires and the back wheels wont spin. sounds like breaks have froze up, if it not one thing its another. Anyway hope its the breaks and not the rear axle. She seemed lately like she wont roll when I was coasting to a stop with it in neutral. any thoughts. I jacked the rear end up and tried spinning tires it was very difficult on left rear and almost impossible on right rear.

help

In case anyone is watching, turned out my brakes leaked and damaged rear drums, got it fixed.

Back