12 volt inverter. Flush mount?

southtj

Help!! I think she might blow!!!!

I would love to have a standard electrical outlet in the Jeep. I know there are inverters you can buy to do this that plug into the cigarette lighter or hardwire in. However, I don't want the inverter just sitting out in the open.

All the ones I've seen have the outlet plug directly on the inverter. Are there any inverters that allow you to remotely mount an outlet? I would love to put an outlet in the dash. Any thoughts anyone?

I want to mount it right below the ac controls in that flat panel. Here:
image-missing.png

Ya! A memebr in my club has a Rubicon and the dash looks like the one up there. In the pannel next to the switches for the lockers, he put on there, all he did was put the inverter up in his dash where his pass. side air bag would be (was removed) but you could easily put it under a seat, just take the side apart and he lengthened the outlet and the power switch to that little black pannel!

I can see if he has a pic!

just hardwire the inverter (fused of course), either take it apart and extend the contacts to a standard electrical outlet, mounted in your dash... or just cut an extension cord, wire one end to an outlet in the dash.. and plug the other end into the inverter, tucked away somewhere

Most have a built in fuse, but if your gonna add something, a breaker would be a little more sensable. no need to replace when you draw heavy loads!

RE: Re: dana 44 wheel studs

Good Ideas. Maybe an extension cord of some kind to run to the dash. But what kind of outlet can i use to mount to the dash that looks good? I don't want it to look like I rigged a home outlet in my dash. I want a clean professional install and I can't seem to find anything at the Home Depot or Radio Shack. Ideas?

4.0 Rebuild Kit?

South, thats when taking it apart whould be your best bet, cause you can get a very nice flush mounted look.

So, you think I could just take this one apart, hard wire it and mount that outlet to the face of the dash? That simple, huh?

image-missing.png

RE: Re: 98 TJ Sport lift options

That is what I am planning on doing as soon as I get the chance. Just take the outlet part of it out, then use longer wires to get them out away from the main part of the unit. I only have one outlet in the one I'm using though

I'm doing it on a Chevy pickup, so I have lots of room up under the dash where I can mount the main part after the outlets are taken out. You could really put it anywhere that you have the room though. Just make sure it's not in a place that commonly gets flooded or sprayed with water.

I run a 700watt inverter that I have mounted on an aluminum plate under the hood I used the the same flush mounted female outlets that are used in the inverter and cut the places in the shifter console to mount. These can be a little difficult to find. I used two out of a 300 watt inverter that no longer worked. I have found that the inverters work best when mounted close to the battery. I used an old outdoor extension cord to run from the outlets in the interior to the inverter under the hood. I just plugged it in with the male of the extension cord. It is nice to have outlets under the hood instead of running cords out of your windows.

just cut the dash out to screw a typical home or recep. behind it... you'll have the dash look, with two outlets coming from it.... you can find black if you look

RE: Re: RE: kumho mud tires

Just a quick FYI on switching your inverter on remotly. My first 300watt inverter I was able to reset it by just killing the 12 volt supply to it. On my new inverter I was not able to do that so I had to splice right into the switch inside the inverter so I would be able to switch the unit on and reset it inside since my inverter is under the hood. allelectronics.com has some nice switches if your in the need. Lots if other little gadgets too.

Going newer... Got Questions.

Hi,

I'd think the extension cord idea is the better way to do this. That is, plug the male end of the extension cord into the inverter's AC outlet, then chop the female end of the cord off and solder the wires to a mountable AC outlet. This way you're not opening up the inverter, which presents a shock hazard due to internal capacitors.

The only thing you need to be careful of is that the extension cord doesn't get anywhere near hot engine parts. The jackets on most extension cords are probably not rated to as high of a temperature as most automotive wiring is...

Also, relay(s) would be the best way to switch the inverter. Remember that if you do any switching on the output side of the inverter the relay's contacts must be rated for 120 volts!

-Nick :!:

XJNick said:
Hi,

I'd think the extension cord idea is the better way to do this. That is, plug the male end of the extension cord into the inverter's AC outlet, then chop the female end of the cord off and solder the wires to a mountable AC outlet. This way you're not opening up the inverter, which presents a shock hazard due to internal capacitors.

The only thing you need to be careful of is that the extension cord doesn't get anywhere near hot engine parts. The jackets on most extension cords are probably not rated to as high of a temperature as most automotive wiring is...

Also, relay(s) would be the best way to switch the inverter. Remember that if you do any switching on the output side of the inverter the relay's contacts must be rated for 120 volts!

-Nick :!:

I tried using a solenioid when I first installed my 700watt inverter but I found that just cutting of the 12 volt supply did not reset the unit for over current draw. If I pulled to much load I would have to go under the hood and reset the unit. I wanted to be able to reset the unit from inside. When I had my 300watt I was able to reset the unit by just cutting the 12 volt supply to the inverter with a solenoid. I think switching the ouput of the inverter only would not be a good idea as most run some type of cooling fan and and it would be constantly on. The inverter that I have all I had to do was remove four screws off the end plate with the switch. carfully remove the switch and solder longer wires for the relocated switch. Emphasis on the carefully. I would not recommend if you dont have a steady hand. My new inverter is meant for a more permanent mounting unlike the older one. My 300watt used flimsy alligator clamps to attach to the battery where my new one is hardwired with 8ga cable to where I dont think a automotive relay would not be sufficent. The one pictured in south442 post could be swiched with a relay but depending on the inverter inself may not be able to be reset with just a toggled relay. Quess he will just have to experiment.

Back