'04 Rubi pro's and con's

Sound_Man

I am looking at getting a new Jeep. I am not going to get rid of my XJ. I like it to much but it needs work and will probably wind up a trailer-queen when I am done.
I have been looking at the 04 Rubicon. It will be a daily driver, back and forth to work (9 miles one way) and will hit the trails whenever I can get it there.
I am looking for information from people that own one already or know the Rubicon fairly well and can tell me the good points and bad about them.
The dealership that I have been looking at will put a 6” lift on it and 35’s. They will also do a winch (Warn XD9000i). I want both tops hard and soft.

So tell me the pro’s and cons on a new Rubi!

if i was you i would wait and see if the wrangler unlimited will have a Rubi package and if it does come w/ one, get that... can you say badarse

I have owned my Rubi for about 1 month now. Had it off road once and am very impressed so far. It was only sugar sand but with stock tires it can crawl up hill thru the stuff like no outher. I traded my 1988 chev 2500 4X4 in on it and with the exception of the fuel mileage It rules! My V8 chevy with automatic trans got 1 mpg better than my rubi does. I still cant figure that one out. I got both tops and a 5 spd with 7 speaker sound system and I love it. Even non jeepers stare at it when going down the road.

I didn't know that the dealership is willing to install a lift and OS tires! Thats pretty sweet, but costly I bet!

Anyway, i was trying to talk my GF into buying a Rubicon over the weekend... we were looking over the specs and it looks like it came with a D44 in the front and rear, both locked! Thats a big plus right off the bat! But Thats about all I know... I've never driven anything with coil springs!

I forgot something. I dont like the way it goes from 2 hi to 4 hi and 4 lo. Does not do it smoothly. I am going to ask about it on its first oil change. it is my first jeep so I don't know if it is a jeep thing or just something that my rubi likes/dislikes to do. maby it just wants to stay in 4 lo all the time.

You think yours is bad.I have to slam on the brakes and smash my T-case lever into 4lo.Both the TJ's I have drivin have all had a "hard" time getting into 4 wheel.They dont shift like the regular gear shift.It is suposed to move hard and sluggish.

Why the expense of the lift/winch/35" tires/etc. if you'll have the XJ for a trailer queen? You gonna have two wheelin jeeps? I'd run the Rubui stock for a while and throw more mods at the XJ if that's what you're going to wheel.

Do you think the 6" and 35" tires is necessary, or would the 4" and 33" suffice? I wouldn't do a 6" lift unless it was a longarm, that tall a lift on stock geometry will make it scary and not nearly as fun to drive.

two of the MAJOR cons I have with the Rubi are (1) the price.....28 g's is a lot of money for a romp in the woods vehicle, and (2) once you modify the suspension (at least around here) you void any warrenty (sp?) that Chrysler offers. I was looking at them the other day, and also am not happy with the way the shifter (transmission) feels, although, I believe that it is just a personal preferance for a tighter feeling shifter.

Rob 8) :p :)

Hey Rob!Havent seen you around these parts in some time!Good to have ya back.

When the dealership said they would install the lift and tires, did they mention whether it would be voiding any warantees or not?

As to the price of the Rubicon, picture in your head the Jeep you could build for twenty some thousand dollars! The picture I have is an awesome one. Heck for $28K you could build your XJ in addition to an older SWB Jeep!
....All that said, everytime I see a Rubi I think how nice it would be to be driving it. :? I say if you got the cake, buy one.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy one...I was looking at them....but I think for a weekend off road toy, it's a ton of dough lol

Rob 8) :p :)

Is that Rob? I heard you ran away with the circus? trying to pass off as the bearded woman or somehting, I think I missed the particulars!

HEHE

Welcome back!

If you are going to make the XJ a trailer queen, it sounds like you should buy a truck and trailer. That Rubicon wouldn't make a good tow vehicle.
$28 K should get you a decent truck and trailer.
I bought my 97 Suburban 1500 LT 4WD for $11,000 and bought a year old tandem axle dove tail 16' trailer for $900.
It's a decent setup for towing. I'm gonna step up to a 2500HD toward the end of the year.

im not bashing on XJs or anything, but do you really want one as a dedicated trail rig.... i mean you gonna have to do some heavy fabbing to keep that unibody together if your gonna flog it real hard....

Thanks for all of your input good or bad. I picked up the rubicon last night bone stock, well as stock as a rubi is and I am really happy with it. Time to go to work on it now. Bumpers, winch, disco's, long arm lift and some 35's are in the near future for it.

Back