01 Cherokee buying advice

lburgguy

If I posted this in the wrong topic, mods please move.

Anyway, I've been searching forever to find the Jeep I want and I may have found it but I need advice. The Cherokee I'm looking at buying is an 01, 5spd and has all the goodies I want in my jeep, even the blue color I would have chosen if given a blank slate.

The guy is asking 3500 but it has 200k miles and when I test drove it, I noticed a lot of play in the rear diff like it needs attention and it looks like the rear main may be leaking, not to mention the transfer case looks like it's leaking.

I would probably plan on replacing the clutch and since i'm there I could do the rear main seal easily but I'm wondering about the rear diff. There was so much play when I got under the jeep and turned the driveshaft.

I am torn becuase I feel like the guy is asking too much (400 more than edmunds.com says) and seemed like he wouldn't be talked down too much but man I really want this jeep and like I said, it's literally everything I've been looking for in a jeep.

I know this sounds stupid but I really just need input. Just seems that 200k miles is a lot for any vehicle and I wonder what I might be getting myself into.

Thanks again for any input. BTW, did I say I really love this particular Cherokee???

It does sound like 500-1000 too much, especially with the needed repairs. XJ's are a dime a dozen, he can either come down or you can keep looking.

I can tell you're excited, did you let that be known to the seller? Could explain them not budging.

I'm not sure why but trucks are expensive in central VA. It's not just me, everyone says the same. So really, for here, this is a good deal, maybe without all the needed repairs though.

I guess it is overpriced though, thanks.

WARNING! 200,000 is too many miles. This jeep has likely been driven hard. If all is original, most drivetrain components have been spent. Depending on the motor, transmission and tc you could be looking at several thousand dollars on repairs and rebuilds. Find something else with less miles, or cheaper so you can put money into it. $3000 + $1000 engine rebuild + $2000 new transmission ($700 rebuilt) + $1500 transfer case ($500 used). I'd rather have you spend $4000 on one that's newer or with less miles, than all that.

It'd be different if all looked ok, but you already know this stuff is shot, know it needs repairs.

It's not worth it in my opinion. You fell in love with a pile. Big mistake. You'll have nothing but regrets. JEEP JUST EMPTY EVERY POCKET!

Jeepgink

Yeah that play in the rear end would make me worry too man, and 200k is alot of miles. I definitely know what you mean about being really excited a particular Cherokee. I searched for months before I found mine and when I did I fell in love the first time I saw it, but I almost wasn't able to get it. I paid $1000 for mine and it's got 186k on it, not bad for an 88' but 200k is quite a bit for an 01'. Basically man if it's in too bad of shape then it might be better to save your money and hunt down another XJ, it sucks when you think you've found one, but it might be better in the long run man, good luck with it though!

Thanks guys I really appreciate the kick in the pants, I needed it. Not sure but wow once the jeep bug bites you you're done. Just can't wait for my first but I'll keep waiting and searching.

BTW it is really annoying how few manuals transmission Cherokees are out there!!

I know the feeling. It's basically what you wanted but has too many present and near-future mechanical problems. You would have spent too much down time and money which = a love-hate relationship!

They are out there. Keep looking.

Try to find one with an AX15 5 speed and 6 cylinder. The 2.5L is a good enough engine, but the AX5 isn't nearly as good as the AX15. Figure out the difference if you don't know. You can identify the AX5 with it's 1.5" wide steel intermediate plate between the cast aluminum housing parts (usually rusty) and the AX15 splits down the middle toward the front of the transmission.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help.

i agree with the high mileage issue, BUT the 4.0 is a high mileage trooper IF maintained right. they're plentiful and you can probably find the one optioned out the way you want if you take your time. this link is pretty good if you havent seen it.

Jeep Cherokee XJ Buyers Guide - Jp Magazine

Keep your eyes out, one will come along. We have a '99 XJ, 4.0L 5 spd and we love it. Best vehicle we have ever had. Bilstein shocks, throttle body spacer and K&N filter, and it runs and rides very well. It will be well worth the wait. 8)

Not to beat this topic to death but I'm wondering what model year xj 5 speed is preferable and why. I've been looking for an '00 or '01 simply because I read the engine is a little better and because it has an electronic ignition. But if anyone wants to change my mind to a '97-'99 feel free.

Also, in reference to the gearboxes, I read that the '00 and '01 use the NV3550 gearbox. Is this a better gearbox than the ax15??

Back