Straight Pipe

hi_c

Chat room?

Ok, my catalytic converter has broken 3x in 3 years. I'm tired of replacing it (once was under warranty, so only paid twice). In S.C. there are no vehicle inspections, so it's "not illegal". Notice I didn't say legal. Anyway, I want to straight pipe it. Should I run the pipe all the way out the back, or keep the muffler in place? I only have a 2.5L 4 cylinder, will it be tremendously loud, like a harley, or just loud, like a V8 with big exhaust system? If you've done it, did you run into any road blocks? Help me. Thanks.

c

Having lost a muffler or two from my Jeeps I can tell ya... even the 258 can be load enough to quite annoying over a period of time (does have a great sounding grumble though).

Consider leaving the muffler/upgrading to a better set up. You'd probably be happier in the long run.

See ya,

Chris

I run a 258 with no CAT Converter and a Flowmaster. It is a little louder than I would like, but if I didn't have the Flowmaster it would be really obnoxious. Definitely put a muffler back on.

Scott

Hey, I have the 2.5 with a pipe where the cat was. I run a mellow tone muffler where the old muffler was. I really like the sound. SOunds like a v8 at idle. Everybody turns their heads for me. No, no raod blocks. :D

Thanks guys for your post. I think I'm just gonna replace the cat with some 3" diameter pipe.

i'm not quite convinced that a 4 cyl will sound like a v8... and you don't have to go with 3" pipe... you only need 2"... the rest of the system is about 2", so anything bigger will just be unnecessary expenses

My jeep had straight pipes when i got it. It was really loud and got annoying quick, fast, and in a hurry. If you want to be able to hear yourself think, keep the muffler.

My cat. is bad it's coughing out honey comb chunks all over the driveway. Can I cut it out and slip in a pipe for now? If so, any ideas?

Just cut it and weld a new one on ....You will be good to go...You sure it's not the muffler though???

stock. The reason I think its the converter is that it was cutting out and chugin' down the road until I got it home and reved it up and all this crap started flying out.

Bang around on the muffler and see if you can hear stuff rattiling around in there ...and also on the cat....:)

cut the cat open.. knock all the crap out of it... weld a pipe through it... weld the halves back together, fill the shell with high temp foam... nobody will ever know

We don't have inspections here anymore. I'm lookin' for a quick fix to get me on the road, and give me time to get a new system. w/out tha cat. :lol:

Just put you a peice of 2" pipe up there and weld it in /////:p

Back