spun nuts in frame for transmission support help please!

diverdr

Oh, the joys of working on parts with rusted bolts and nuts!! Installing my BDS 4" suspension lift there is 6 bolts( 3 on each side) that hold the transmission skid/support to the frame. The nuts are tack welded INSIDE the frame and have spun free. I believe I can use my sawzall to get in between the skid and frame to cut the bolts, my problem is re-attaching after the spacers for the lift are installed. OPTION 1(my idea) Drill same size hole directly above and install a longer bolt and screw bolt on from top of frame. No cleareance issues cause I'm just finishing my BDS 2" body lift. Option 2:(guy who installs for a living option)Cut three holes in the side of the frame, then weld shut. Option 1= $100, Option 2= $5 He thought the 3 in the top of the frame might allow some twisting? Plus I am installing in my garage so if I can drill the holes theres no concern for trying to transport mid way thru the installation. Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for your help!!

drill out the same holes a lil more to where you could fit the nut that fits the bolts you need up inside .. then get you a washer that allows the bolt to fit through it .. then weld the nut to the washer ... slip the nut up in the hole and weld the washer to the frame presto ... just my idea

Thanks, I may try that. After not being so lazy and doing a search, I found that a SYE would completely eliminate the need for the skid plate spacers. Since the nuts spun and did not loosen, I could leave them. My question now is do you need to remove the skidplate to do the SYE conversion?? Thanks

yeah you have to remove the skid to install an SYE .... plus i wouldnt want to wheel around with that hardware hanging by a thread so i'd get in there and fix it while you have the chance .... the washer/nut idea is pretty good i've used it before infact used it on my steering skid... just make sure you get heavy duty hardware and keep your welds slow just a few at a time so you dont warp the nut

Thanks Lethal. So the skid has to come off either way. That' s a bummer. It wouldn't have been hangin cause the nuts spun before the bolt started to loosen. But nuts and bolts are cheaper than a $500-600 sye conversion and cv shaft!

now your talking.... just play around with fab'n different stuff and ask around compile a list of diff ideas then head into it .. but 10-15 bucks in some hardware and an afternoon should do the trick

I don't think there are nuts inside of the frame. It may be one of those nutsert things. You put the nutsert into a hole in the frame and as you tighten the bolt the nutsert compresses and pinches the frame to keep it from spinning.

All you do is grind off the outside lip on the nutsert and knock it up into the frame, get new nutsert and bolt..
JJV_0146-2.jpg

Last edited:

i'm unsure i've never looked at mine and really didnt know what model was up for inspection... i just assumed it was right because on the S10 frames there are a few bolts that has nuts that are welded into the frame in places where its almost impossible to get at so i figured jeep was another one ... maybe closer inspection can determine i'm gonna give mine a look when i put in my new transmission mount got me curious

You could drill a hole in the side of the frame and get to it and replace the nut. Then you could leave the hole since it does not weaken the frame any. Or you could close it up. This way you do not do anything to the lower frame rail wich could weaken it.

What about my first thought, and easiest solution. Just drill a hole in the top of the frame directly above the bottom hole and get a longer bolt. Run the bolt straight up thru the top and put a washer and nut on. Will three small holes in the top of the frame weaken it? Would a strip of steel with 3 coresponding holes do the trick if it would be weakened?

What about my first thought, and easiest solution. Just drill a hole in the top of the frame directly above the bottom hole and get a longer bolt. Run the bolt straight up thru the top and put a washer and nut on. Will three small holes in the top of the frame weaken it? Would a strip of steel with 3 coresponding holes do the trick if it would be weakened?

I guess you could the frame is pretty strong on top. You want to make sure your not going to crush the frame when you tighten the bolts.

Back