Body Lifts

laxpug19

I HAVE barely any money and cant start work till june 20th.. 1st day of summer officially from school... and i wanna get new tires 31"/10.5 or 33/12.5 on my 99 wrangler if i go 33 would i need a body lift or suspension?:???:

You'd need somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.5" of body lift and maybe more to clear 33's, depending on the amount of flex you get from your suspension....that would look totally rediculous. Anything over a couple of inches or so on body lifts can be troublesome. Also, if you're going with 33's, unless you've got the 4.0 engine, you'll probably need to regear your diffs, which ain't cheap.

Signature
91 YJ, 4" lift, 33x12.50 BFG Muds, Skyjacker shocks, 1.25" Lift Daystar Shackles, KC Daylighters

what if i used thos shackles?

Shackles wont work on your Jeep, theyre for YJ's. You have a TJ. About the cheapest your gonna get 33's on it is with a 2 inch body lift and a 2 inch budget boost lift. You'll probably spend about 200 on the budget boost and 100 on the body lift. Add in the cost of tires, and dont worry about regearing right now, if its too much of a dog do it, otherwise you'll be fine. I know plenty of people who run 33's on stock gears.

If you are looking to run 33" tires, yet are looking to save cash... I'd be very careful.

Cheaping out to run big tires on your TJ isnt the best of ideas.

I own a 99 TJ as well, and I needed a cheap way of lifting and getting those bigger offroading tires. I'm very glad with my outcome, so I'll give you my advise.

When it comes to body lifts, yes they are cheap (under $150), but they have mannnny downfalls. This includes linkage problems, issues with radiator fan, and not to mention ugly. Personally, I wouldn't run more than a 1" body lift. That is what I have on my TJ. Its small enough to not be an eye soar, or cause mechanical problems.

What I can recommend with a 1" body lift, is a budget boast (I am running the Skyjacker 2" coil spacer budget boast with aftermarket Skyjacker shocks. The budget boasts are VERY economical, maintain stock feel and driveablitly, and NO mechanical problems like larger body lifts cause. Budget boasts are inexpensive, at around $200-250.

All together, with a combination of a 1" body and 2" budget lift, I'd say you have a nice TJ. Personally, I'd never run more than 32" tires (which is what I have), however you could get 33"s on there with the 3" of combined lift.

If you REALLY wanted to ensure enough space for 33" tires, I'd say find another 1" of lift over the 3". I would recomend staying away from a 2" or 3" body lift. What you COULD do to get an additional 1" of lift, is go on ebay and find stock Rubicon coil springs. These coils will give you 1" of lift over regualar coils from what I understand. Can get them online for under $100.

Let us know how things turn out... Included below is a picture of my 1999 TJ with the 1" body lift and 2" budget boost. Running the 32" tires, and very happy

2768a7199f3f.jpg

726516c7ec46.jpg

-Rob

For the sake of all Jeep lovers, just hold out and get a suspension lift when you can afford it. Stock isn't so bad when you compare it to that ugly void between the frame and the body of your Jeep.

For the sake of all Jeep lovers, just hold out and get a suspension lift when you can afford it. Stock isn't so bad when you compare it to that ugly void between the frame and the body of your Jeep.

IM 17 I CANT AFFORD THAT what if i ran 31" by 10.5 would it look fine... where can i get a tire package with 32" like those on www.desertrat.com

laxpug19 said:
IM 17 I CANT AFFORD THAT what if i ran 31" by 10.5 would it look fine... where can i get a tire package with 32" like those on www.desertrat.com

There are literally thousands of places to get tires and wheels......just shop around and you can usually find a good deal somewhere.

Laph has a set of 31x10.5 tires on 15" rims for sale.....look him up here and drop him an email or PM.

When I was 17 I didn't want to hear it either but...don't lift for looks, lift for function (ie actually off roading and need some more clearance). 31x10.50R15's with a really aggressive tread on stock suspension look pretty good to me.

Hey Rob nice jeep how is the highway performance with your setup. And what size are those tires? 32 9.50?

Someone on the board was wanting to get rid of a set of Rubicon springs. They are 1" taller then stock TJ springs. I'd suggest getting those springs and getting a 2" coil spacer budget lift. Get a new set of longer shocks and you'll be able to run 33"s. I had them on my TJ for a few runs with just the 2" spacers and it only rubbed in tight turns and hard flexing. However, if you're not running 4.10's in the gears it's going to have enough power to barely be able to get out of it's own way.

Im very pleased with my highway ride. I can get her to 75-80 with no problem. I am looking at around 17ish mpg, which isnt bad...

Those are 32" x 10.5" I believe...

lift the way you want to but take what everone said on here they know what they are talking about . the 33s will be fine for right know with the stock gears i got a 2in body lift and shackles and i run 33s with a 2.5 and its working good for me .

if your looking for some inexspensive tires and rims i have some USED 31x10.5 tires on some NICE 15" alum rims. I don't know were u are at but i'm located in Western Iowa near omaha ne. getting rid of the tires for $150 for the guys off jeepz ;). as for the lift I would save the money, I know how bad you want to lift, I'm in the same boat, but i'm going to wait and spend the money on a nice lift and skip the budget lift. It will be well worth the wait. but that is my opinion.

Wait a little bit till you can afford the lift you really want. If you go cheap now there is a good chance you may be waisting money when you redo it later with what you want. Just my 2 cp worth.

I am looking at the RE 3.5" lift for my 04 TJ. I haven't had the jeep long, but I am looking to the future. everything is stock so far. RE says something about a slip yoke eliminator amd CV driveshaft. for my stock TJ am I going to need this? they're the only lift guys to say anything about this. i am using the 4WD mag for reference right now. I too would like to add 33 or 32" tires. I would still be driving it everyday. would wheel spacers help with potential rub whrn cornering? what about the speedometer reading with 33? I have a sahara and I think the tires are 30" I'm brand new to jeeps. sorry for all the ?s

Back