YJ ring and pinion gears

mcarrea

Ok, i'm kind of new to this whole posting thing so let me know if anything else might be needed to get the info i'm lookin' for. i'm putting 35's on stock '94 wrangler axles (soon, hopefully). i'd like to put new gears in, but don't have any idea which ratio i should use. also, i've been looking at the different ratios and found you can buy 4.10's for the front and 4.11's for the rear. is there a small enough difference between the two that they can be used in conjuction with one another, or does this cause binding issues? anyway, thanks for the help.
Michael

that small of a gear ratio difference wont have any negative effects. i am running 5.13 up front and 5.14 out back. there will most lilkly be no binding on un-paved surfaces due to the fact that the tires are able to slip a little on un-pave surfaces.

if you are seriously considering going with the 4.10 gear ratio it would probably be chaeper to get a pair of axles out of a four cyl. jeep. the four bangers all came with 4.10 gear ratio and the axles are a direct swap. i did this axle swap so i could get the 4.10 gear ratio. ran 36 swampers no problem.

i am now in stage two of my jeeps build up and am swtiching to more beefier axles.

Only 4bangers with 5spd transmission came with 4.10, the auto had 3.73, much easier and cheaper to swap entire axles, usually.

What is your stock axle ratio?

yeahi got a set of 3.07 in a pair of dana 30/35 and another set with 4.10 of dana30\35. the front 4.10's are wasted tho. the front end locked up on me on a new years day run and they are toast now! :lol:

Back