YJ question from an XJ guy.

mingez

Hey Y'all. I have a buddy who is offering to sell me his YJ. It's a 92, and has a ton of miles on it. 172,000 to be exact. Here are the issues:

exhaust leak from somewhere around the manifold
needs a new oil pump
crack in the windshield
(I'm sure there is much more at issue than that.)

other than that, it needs new paint, but I know that the engine is really venerable.

What is a good price to ask for? He offered me $2000. He's getting it traded in for a liberty, and they are offering him the fictitious 2500 $ trade in value.

There are no mods on it at all, it's a 4.0, and It's the Sahara edition if that matters.

chevy transfer case for conversion

Are you going to use this jeep as a driver or as a trail rig? How is your buddy with keeping up his vehicals? Without seeing the jeep it is har to give advice but it sounds pretty warn. That is not a prob if you have plans that include lots of upgrades. It is a prob if you are going to depend on the jeep for transportation. Can you do most of the repairs yourself? Ask yourself questions like these and you will have your answer. I dont think that $2000.00 is alot for a halfway decent 4x4.

exhaust leak from somewhere around the manifold
needs a new oil pump ...
The exhaust leak is normal ... Well not normal but most do leak. How do you know about the oil pump ? If its knocking, its done

I don't know what all is involved with an oil pump, but $2K is a good price, especially for a Sahara edition. I think you could definately get your money back out of it if you decided you don't want it and sold it again.

TwistedCopper said:
I don't know what all is involved with an oil pump, but $2K is a good price, especially for a Sahara edition. I think you could definately get your money back out of it if you decided you don't want it and sold it again.

TC, that's a good point about recooping the money if I decided to get rid of it. Why is a Sahara edition desirable?

He sprung this on me today, so I hadn't really put too much thought into it. He isn't very mechanically inclined, he's a zip lube kinda guy.

I've driven it and it's got plenty of power, but that motor is definetly tired though. The leak feels to have dogged out that engine, needs more back pressure, but that's a fairly easy fix. As far as the pump is concerned, he took it in, and that's what the mechanic told diagnosed.

In my opinion, you could get that Jeep for the $2,000, and turn it into a great trail rig. You can get the motor replaced very easily. The is a salvage yard in Dallas that has lots of Jeep parts (ie motors, trannies...) at reasonable prices. Heck, you could even do an engine upgrade. Also, like TC said, it would be easy to get your money back for any Wrangler, especially the Sahara Edition. They are nicer Jeeps that our regular rigs. Not really sure exactly what the differences are. I'd definetely take it if I had the money.-al

For a fuel injected 6cyl YJ, 2k is a good deal.I cant even find a 4 banger for sale in my area for that price.

Agree. Get it if you got $2K laying around. The sahara is the top package of the day (for YJs). So it should have all the options that were offered. Should. Shoot a picture out to the board. Let's see it.

C

The Sahara package had the 4.0L, nicer seats, usually the better wheels, a paint job that was unavailable on other trim packages and they usually also had the side steps and tow hooks. They also had a few creature comforts that were unheard of on the base Wranglers like delay wipers.

new brakes

Buy it. You can always clean it up, rebuild the engine if necessary and get your money back out of it all day long. If it has a hardtop then that's even more you can get back. If not, it's still reasonable.

I agree. You would definitely come out good on the deal if you resold it. If you decided to keep and modify/build it up, it's a good one to start with.

Back