YAY! Finally got my lift in!

noskils32

3" body, 2.5" shackle

I've taken her in the mud a few times. Will bring the camera the next time I do. The pics kind of suck but they are in the link in my sig.

Now, time for tires. I was think 33" super swampers. Any recommendations? Durability is important!

Swampers rule, but they are a bit heavy. You may want to re-gear before you go that big with that heavy of a tire.

I LOVE my 33" Procomp Xterrains. The ONLY thing I don't like about them is that they are directional. But they look good, and perform well with mild road noise.

I've got a 4.2 6 cyl with stock gears and 33s and it's stronger than a friggin ox. I'm not so sure about your 4.0 with stock gears and heavy 33s. Mine aren't super swamper heavy but they're still a load.

NoSkils, you got 9" long shackles? That's what it'd take to get 2.5" of lift from shackles. If you've got shackles 2.5" longer than stock that will net you 1.25" of lift. Shackles only lift half the difference in height from stock shackles, since the axle is in the middle of the spring and your only lifting one end.

33" swampers will be taller than most other 33" tires, they run closer to actual size. Most tires run slightly smaller than listed height. Check out the Swamper Radial if you want the ultimate in traction while retaining decent road manners. There are good off-brand MT's like Kuhmos and Ventures, to name a few.

See if this pic of your jeep works, I don't know if cardomain allows it.
image-missing.png

Looking at the pix, I would agree with Bounty. That's a 1 1/4" shackle lift. You wouldn't want shackles longer than the ones you've installed, as they would cause steering problems.

t5 transmission

My bad about the shackles thing. I dont really know what the hell I'm talking about. haha

Yea tho, I was planning on adjusting the gears for sure when i get 33s since I only got a 2.5 cylinder 4 liter. I'm thinking of goin with the thornibird's based on durability and price. Anyone have experience with them?

noskils32 said:
Yea tho, I was planning on adjusting the gears for sure when i get 33s since I only got a 2.5 cylinder 4 liter. I'm thinking of goin with the thornibird's based on durability and price. Anyone have experience with them?

If you do a search (link above) you'll find an entire thread dedicated to how horrible those tires are.
Here's a link to that thread:
http://www.jeepz.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=320180&highlight=thornbirds

Nobody recommends the thornbirds. They are terrible on pavement when it rains, and the performance off road is not good. Everyone who has them says that they aren't self cleaning, so you end up having to clean the mud out of the tread by hand. Not to mention that they are heavy.

A lot of people recommend: Procomp Xterrains, Trxus, Goodyear MTRs, and Swampers. Bounty Hunter knows of a retread company that does good work, for 50-70 bucks and sells over the internet.

Good Luck :D

Ha ha, that was my post. Dont get the thornbirds. Based on what the guys here have said and a few others, they absoulutely bite the big one. Get either Swamper Radials or the Trxus MT. But if durability is your main concern u may want to consider a BFG All Terrain.

Joopin\' said:
4 words: Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip

http://www.dirtgriptires.com/

Are you running those? How are they? I love to trail, but mostly around here it's dirt and sand and events like sand drags. I noticed that they are expensive and I was very curious, but got NO feedback from anyone.

Do you love them?

--ian

noskils32 said:
My bad about the shackles thing. I dont really know what the hell I'm talking about. haha

wow, thats one big 2.5 Cylinder. Is that the V2.5 or the I-2.5? :p
i know im an a$$ :lol:

Back