Work pics

TwistedCU

Found these pics while cleaning today. There various pics of me at work.

Anybody looking for a job??? So you wanna be a lineman eh?

Here's a 70+ foot steel pole. We were working off a hook ladder suspended by a handline. Know your knots baby!!! I'm the one in the white shirt (the other guy who's butt was biting in to the ladder rung is Chad):
ApprenticeSchool2-2.jpg

Full view of pole:
70footer-2.jpg

Here I am on a 90 footer that I learned to climb on with hooks(gaffs) in apprenticeship school:
ApprenticeSchool3-2.jpg

"Walking wire" in a 2AM wire tear-out on Amtrak's main line in Perryville, MD:
Walkingwire-2.jpg

Apprenticeship school. We framed these poles from hooks and handlines(no bucket trucks used):
ApprenticeSchool1-2.jpg

Nowadays it's mostly little 25-35 foot climbs to work phone lines...

Cakework!!! :D

Holy crap TC. That's an unfriendly job for those with vertigo. How'd you get into that?

SOA progress (now with pics)

mingez said:
Holy crap TC. That's an unfriendly job for those with vertigo. How'd you get into that?

I was at a bar in Fells Point drinking with a couple of lineman. I got shanghied and when I woke up I was in Ohio at climbing school.

Ok, not really - I took a summer job after my freshman year in college as a groundman (work handlines, take care of the trucks and material, etc). I was offered the apprenticeship, but turned it down and went back to school. A week later I dropped out to go back to work and by November I was in Ohio for training for 3 weeks. It's hard to explain why, but it just got in my blood. Kinda like Jeeps did.

I spliced comm lines in the service. I climbed my fair share of poles with and without gaffs. It never failed you were either up a pole in the freezing wind or in a hole up to your ankles in mud working on a splice. Seems like you love your job. Nice pics, brought back a few memories.

you guys are crazy.. don't they make them big ole boom lifts or whatever they called for that?

My father had his own electrical contracting business. Feels like I grew up with climbing spikes, even used them to go deer hunting as a teen. All that in the past now I sit behind a desk all day, kind of miss the field work from time to time... Cool pics

LGR said:
you guys are crazy.. don't they make them big ole boom lifts or whatever they called for that?

You cant always get a boom truck high enough or even to where you may have a splice. I been places where it is only accessible with 4X4 ATV's. For some reason people think it is fun to shoot at cables in the middle of nowhere.

ROGLSTUBB said:
For some reason people think it is fun to shoot at cables in the middle of nowhere.

So true. Those idiots have made me alot of $$$ though :lol:

Back