winch strenght

raptor_pilot

I was looking at winches today and saw two levels of strenght both made by Super Winch. The regular duty and Heavy duty. The regular went up to 4500lbs. Is the heavy duty really necessary for wheelin or will either do? Budget minded and wondering i I'm forced to get the larger winch to pull myself or others out.
Mike

Rule of thumb is you want the winch to be rated at 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle, and go up from there :lol:

8K is the smallest I'd get for a Jeep, with 8K, 9K, and 9.5K being the most popular. I've got the Warn M8274 :D

Don't forget that on top of pulling the weight of the vehicle, you'll likely be pulling up hill through whatever the vehicle is stuck in, and that adds a lot of resistance. Overkill is good here, it gets the job done, and keeps everybody as safe as possible :D

i have a 6k# and it has done every thing i have asked it to do.... but if i bought one (mine came w/ jeep) i would buy a 8k#

i got a warn 8000 pound one. but you could go lower and use a snatch block to double that pulling power.

Also, pay attention on HOW they are rated. Warn is rated for "dead lift" or rated on how much it can pick straight up. Some other Wenches are rated on "Rolling weight" (it can pull 8000 pounds if it is on level ground and has wheels on it) See the Difference. If a Warn says it can lift 8000 pounds you can rest asurd it can lift your Jeep (dangeling) up the side of a wall but the Other Wench you would need a ramp.

Doing the math....
  • winch capacity=GVW * 30 percent og GVW
  1. Ground condition, add for:
  2. pavment....5%
  3. grass....10%
  4. wet sand or gravel....15-20%
  5. dry sand....25-35%+
  6. light, shallow mud....35%+
  7. heavy, deep mud....50-60%+
slopes will have it's own factor to which you will add the above ground condition factor....winch pull = slope (in degrees devided by (60x vehicle loaded weight)...

now take winch pull x ground factor (in percent) = additional load

Additional load + winch pull =total load on the winch

Back