When Is a YJ ready????

Sobol

Ok every one i have a topic or question i guess

----When do you consider a Jeep Trail and Mud ready?
What mods do you think are a necessity for example tow hooks,wench, lift,tires?
Just something to stoke the mind
:idea:

Tow hooks and some sort of recovery device (hi-lift jack at least) and you're good to go (IMHO). The Jeep, by nature, is trail and mud ready right out of the box, but the wide variations in trail obstacles and driver skills sometimes lead folks to blame their vehicle (hence the need for tow hooks and recovery devices! :lol: ). Of course, tires, lifts, horsepower, gears, winches, etc. change the experience greatly......but as far as trail and mud ready?........go for it!!!! It's not a ricer! :wink:

In stock trim they are pretty capable. But like Junkpile said it depends on the trail and mud. As the mud gets deeper, your tires get bigger. Somewhere between hitting that first mud pit and trail riding you become addicted. From there your pretty much ruined for life and all your money goes into the jeep. Simple as that.

Mine handled the sloppy redjaw clay at Cheney Lake with no lift and 30% tread on the BFG A/T's it came with, though I had to keep the RPMs up and keep it in 4wd all the way. Now, with no lift and Mud Kings, I can hit twice as bad mud out there and never get into 4wd if I don't want to....but I do, just to throw more mud!! I've seen stockers go places most people would never dream of in any other vehicle. I've seen stockers literally run circles around lifted and otherwise modded 4x4's of other brands and sizes that are buried in the mud or sand...in 2wd, no less. If it runs, it's ready!

Re: RE: I might be in the market for a TJ

Sully said:
In stock trim they are pretty capable. But like Junkpile said it depends on the trail and mud. As the mud gets deeper, your tires get bigger. Somewhere between hitting that first mud pit and trail riding you become addicted. From there your pretty much ruined for life and all your money goes into the jeep. Simple as that.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Sully, you pretty much said it!!!1

tow hooks. If you get stuck without them, I wouldn't help you out.

That's all you need though, for light trail use

Re: RE: Gas tank size question answered

Tow points... My very first modification to the Jeep was the Warn Trans4mer grille guard, acts as a very strong frontal tow-point, and installs easily enough providing you have a friend there to cuss at when you get metal in the eye, rank the hell out of your wrist when the drillbit catches suddenly and stops, and get it halfway on when you realize exactly where those extra mystery parts go, explained by the step that you somehow missed... After that, it was rear-reciever, easy enough install as well, on the post '97s, though, they have you screw in the bolts into pre-threaded holes on the passenger side frame rail... Yeah... Tap those, they will be rusty, or you will break a bolt off like I did... That was all sorts of fun, turned my nice little 2 hours install (I go slowly, no rush usually, I enjoy wrenching on it), into a three day nightmare... Anyway, yeah... Tow points... If you get stuck, you can always be pulled out of it.

Watch out for water. A biggie... I'm driving a stocker, and take it all sorts of places, follow lifted Jeep all the time (and I schooled one something fierce on a hole at the Mounds yesterday :D)... But the lower you are, the more chance you have of pulling water into the air intake, should you hit a deep hole at a prodigious rate of speed... Not a good feeling to have it die, and pull the intake hose only to find the throttle body soaking wet...

I would also suggest a full-size spare, if you don't have one already. And I'm guilty of not having one myself, if I blow a tire, and I'm running an inch larger than stock, I don't even want to think about what I'm gonna do if I have to hit up the donut spare.

Other than that, it depends on your abilities... Tow points give you the power to be pulled out of those "I thought I could" places, and other than that, they're strong vehicles... Mud and trails are usually not hard enough to damage underbody components, if you're going rock-crawling, you'll be wanting the skid plates and rocker guards...

RE: Pop

As soon as it rolls off the assembly line...its ready. If you havent hit the trails with your YJ yet its definitely ready. Go. GO NOW!

RE: Re: When Is a YJ ready????

also, I didn't see mentioned, a fellow vehicle, those tow points are useless unless you venture off with a buddy to pull you out!

jps4jeep said:
also, I didn't see mentioned, a fellow vehicle, those tow points are useless unless you venture off with a buddy to pull you out!

yup. the only 2 things that you really need to have fun.. so long as someone has a recovery strap on board.

RE: need help Rubicon Question

Sure you can wheel with any tires but it sucks not having good traction. After tow points and strap definately need some good tread.

Hemi?

back when my jeep was stock i used to drive circles around my buddies with there little rangers and S-10's, most of em are chevy guys but im all about the Mopar. it makes it that much better when im pulling them out of mudholes

Back