What's wrong with this thing?

64Jeeper

My computer constantly reboots by itself ALL the time. It will reboot at least 6 times while just trying to start the damn thing up. Once on, it could reboot at any time. Sometimes it will go for hours without a problem, then out of nowhere, it will reboot.

I have a homebuilt computer, stats here:

Soyo motherboard with an AMD Athalon 1.2Gig prossor
300 watt power supply
64 meg NVidia GeForce 4 mx44 video card
Soundblaster Live 5.1 sound card
512 megs RAM
DVD ROM
CD burner

running Windows XP Pro

I thought it may have been the surge protector, but everything for the computer is on it, and nothing else shuts off. Also I checked the reset button, and it appears ok.

Anyone know what could be causing this? It's really starting to piss me off, so much so, that I've switched my DSL to the laptop, and I am currently using it untill I can fix the Desktop computer.

[addsig]

It6 sounds like your picking up a fatal error within the O/S. With either notification services off or you have a total exception error which doesnt produce an error message. My suggestion would be back up all critical files and do a full format and re-install. This will clean up the registary and the curpt files that the system see's as a major system change and requires a re-boot. XP pro has alot of administartion background files running that monitors the system and protects the server data bace. to help free up your system cache files and band width I would recomend after doing a fresh install go to Tweak XP and follow thses instructions to shut down un-nessasary servises running if your not on a net-work. I would also check your BIO's and check your temputure setting for your CPU there is a possability that your CPU fan is getting worn and causing your CPU to heat up to where the BIO's shuts it down. a cheap thermo probe aluminum taped to the back of the chip set with an external monitor will let you know its real temp and if this is the problem.
If this doesnt clean up your problem check all connections H/D vid card seating ect ect.
there is a possability that a connection is being shorted due to inturnal fans moving your cable connections.

If this sounds too drastic e-mail me and I will do an online line file transfer of system mechanic and you can try to clean the regisry first.
[addsig]

First things first. Try your Cheapest and quickest ways of testing. That is the Hardware. I see that you have 512 mbs RAM Single stick or more?? If More than a single stick take them all out and replace them one by one to find out which one is bad. ;-) I am betting on a hardware problem at this point.[addsig]

Way over my head,,,,,
and I built my own box too.

Thank God for the vast wealth
we share here at Jeepz.com.

Utah, Elite, on the job,
Do IT!,,, Well Done!

(pearls of wisdom in Both replies)
my .02 (been there)
Good luck Glass[addsig]

here's what you check:

right click my computer
go to properties
advanced tab
in the startup and recovery section
settings

you will probably find the "automatically restart" check box is checked. uncheck it
while you are there change the "write debugging information" to small dump - this will help on performance when it errors - you won't have to wait for all 256 MB or whatever RAM todump before getting the error

hit OK. hit ok again and reboot.

the system is most likely generating a fatal eror and rebooting. once you turn off the auto reboot you can see the error message and diagnose the problem further. if you let me kow the exact error message i can look it up and give you an idea of what to check. there is a good chance it is a software problem.

BTW: I do this for a living.....

[addsig]

Hey graewolf...sounds like you do know your stuff. I just had the same problem...computer took a dump and rebooted. Do you know where I can check the logs to find out what the error was? I know Win2K backwards and forwards but am still learning on XP.[addsig]

I hated when XP came out... they released 2000, ME, and XP all way way too quickly... I'm learning to love XP now... ME was terrible.... I've always relied on DOS to do a lot of stuff... and the lack of it was a problem for me[addsig]

Hey graewolf...sounds like you do know your stuff. I just had the same problem...computer took a dump and rebooted. Do you know where I can check the logs to find out what the error was? I know Win2K backwards and forwards but am still learning on XP.

actually, there is no "log" to speak of.. but you will see the BSOD (blue screen of death) and the message will appear on screen if you turn the auto reboot off... i recommend that this be turned off on every PC. it is one of those stupid MS defaults.

[addsig]

Thanks for all the help and info. I will try to get it running better tonight, and let you all know how it turns out.

One of the error codes that I was getting is as follows:

***stop 0x0000007e (0x80000003, 0x804d88ad, 0xf89895b8, 0xf89892b8)[addsig]

Thanks for all the help and info. I will try to get it running better tonight, and let you all know how it turns out.

One of the error codes that I was getting is as follows:

***stop 0x0000007e (0x80000003, 0x804d88ad, 0xf89895b8, 0xf89892b8)

that's only part of the message... there should be a text error somewhere in the first 2 or 3 lines.... that is what i need to see.... something like fatal_exception

[addsig]

Well, let's see, there the ever popular: Page fault in non-page area, or better yet, something about invalid context, and some others that I can't think of right now.[addsig]

Well, let's see, there the ever popular: Page fault in non-page area, or better yet, something about invalid context, and some others that I can't think of right now.

if you can get the actual message text next time it does it i can probably point you in the right direction
[addsig]

stop 0x0000007e (0x80000003, 0x804d88ad, 0xf89895b8, 0xf89892b8)

I am still betting on the Memory, dood. Just give it a try before you re-build and loose everything that you have set-up for yourself. What you have listed above are usually memory blocks that in which the error occured. Be it Hardware or software they will show up. But with the re-boots I will stand with the Hardware. Durring your re-boot spasms, do you get to the "Safe Mode" menu???[addsig]

1.2 ghz Athlon's are super picky when it comes to heat... Something about the heat sink and fan's they put on em... I have one that used to do this all the time... I put a new power supply (400 watts) and added some fans... Seems to have calmed it down a bit...

IMHO, AMD 1.2ghz processors are junk... In my new PC I have a 2.4ghz Intel P4 and have had ZERO problems...[addsig]

I'm having a problem as well. I get BSOD and this pops up.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP:0x00000001 (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000004)

Really starting to piss me off....[addsig]

Yep, got that error before with my Athlon...

Definitely a hardware issue of some sort... [addsig]

Really starting to piss me off....

I also had that same problem. Yours is easy to fix, just set your virtual memory yourself, don't let windows do it. I have mine set to 300 megs, and that solved one of my problems.[addsig]

Also, I don't think that mine has a heat issue, cause I have 6 fans in it, and I take the tower out to the garage once in a while, and use the air compressor on it to blow out the dust, and no, I don't get moisture in it, cause I have a water seperator on the compressor.[addsig]

Really starting to piss me off....

from microsoft:

SYMPTOMS
When your computer restarts after you install Windows XP Home Edition, you may receive either of the following error messages:
System has recovered from a serious error
CAUSE
This behavior may occur if either of the following conditions exist:
One or more of the random access memory (RAM) modules that are installed in your computer are faulty, or the memory modules are not compatible with the chip set on your computer mainboard.
The Page file that is used by the Virtual Memory Manager may be damaged.

this should help you out....[addsig]

Ok, I think I got it fixed, and you would never belive how. I reset the CMOS by changing the position of the JP5 jumper. Then turning the tower on for 10 seconds, then off. Then putting the jumper back where it was, and rebooting. So far, it has not shut off on it's own, and hopfully it will stay that way.

Thanks for all the help ºlllllº
[addsig]

Back