what's the perfect CJ7?

Jeeper84

Hi. This summer I'll be buying a CJ7 to restore. I'm hoping to get an '84 as it's my birthyear. I have 2 questions: What should i look for in it? If you had to start a CJ7 project, what kinda of stuff would you put into it to make it your perfect CJ7? -Mike
image-missing.png
[addsig]

things to look for:

1)the frame. rust is not your friend,neither are cracks or rot.

2)I would avoid 4 cylinders,unless you plan on swaping the motorand trans.

3)body rust,unless you are going to replace with fiberglass.

4)beware of something for sale with temporary tags on it.

I had to start a restoration,cause the frame was shot....
image-missing.png

Now if money was in great supply...

350 corvette motor,fuel injected of course

5 speed manual truck trans

Advanced Adapter Atlas 2 transfer case 4.3:1 low gear ratio
image-missing.png

dana 60's front and rear,disc brakes at all corners

35 inch mudders

....................[addsig]

I'm going to have to start saving up now. Can you give me an estimate or a range that I'll be paying for this project (I just want to make it stock again). -Mike

[addsig]

Yeah, exactly what Berettajeep mentioned! With ARB's front & rear. Now, the cost of your planned restoration. Can't be for told. Too many variables to think about. Mainly, what shape the vehicle you start with will determine aproxmatly how much your going to need coin wise. If you start out with a nice body, nice running gear, well, it'll cost you far less than buying a pile of rust & rot on 4 wheels.

Another question you may want to ask & answere is "What do I wan't to do with it?" is it going to be a commuter vehicle, a weekend wheeler? What kind of wheeling will it do? Rocks? Mud? Fire trails? Sand? Do you live in a harsh winter environment? Hot climate?. All these factors should be looked at, for your comfort while driving it. 5 live in California, for me to get to harsh winter I have to drive many miles. I like driving Rocks! don't do mud, unless the mud happens to be on the trail I'm on and I have to go through it to get to where I was heading.

I've rebuilt my CJ-5 motor, and after 2 decades of ownership (20+yrs) i've got over $11,000 invested in her.

One last thought. Your jeep will never be done! Mine is close, but now, I'm stinking about new ring & pinions.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

Troy

[addsig]

Hey jprtroy

Do they make ARB front winch bumpers for the 79 CJ 5? If so were do I find one quadratec only has them for the newer jeeps[addsig]

Back