What gears for my 1989 YJ with 33's

ufgator16

I was wondering what gears i should put into my 1989 YJ. It is the 4.2L. I have 33's and as most know or have experienced, high gear is nonexistant. My jeep is almost strickly a road vehicle. I would like to hopefully get the power back along with hopefully better gas milage than 12mpg. What is entailed in changing the gears out? What other parts will I need? Thanks for helping the new guy.[addsig]

You need to upgrade from the stock 3.07 gears to 4.10 gears to get back most of the stock performance. You'd need to buy the gears and the master install kits, and find a competent mechanic to do the swap.

It's a whole lot easier and cheaper to find a set of axles from a 4cyl. YJ that had the 5spd transmission, it came with 4.10 gears and is a direct bolt in. Just swap the entire axle assembly.[addsig]

Whats up UF fan? The best bet is to pull some 4.10s out of an old wrangler with a 4-banger. I'm not sure if they will go with the drive shafts or not, so you might have to do some custom mods. If you want good gas mileage, you should have never bought a jeep. =) GO GATORS![addsig]

Yes, both front and rear axles need addressed, wether it be replacing just the gear sets or the entire axle assembly with 4banger axles. Your stock driveshafts will bolt right up to the 4banger axles, they are identical externally.[addsig]

right... if you dont change them, you'll have to keep it in 2wd all the time, unless you want to calculate to find out different tire sizes to make up for the ratio difference... which is just obsurd[addsig]

Back